• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Mojave Underground in the classroom

Crystal and I had the wonderful opportunity to educate fifth and sixth graders in Sterling, Alaska today on the joys and wonders of abandoned mine exploration. With a heavy emphasis on safety, we explained the importance of abandoned mine preservation and told them of our group's latest adventures and service projects. The children were very excited and had lots of great questions, "If you got stuck in a mine would you drink the water in there?", "How many mines are in Alaska?", "Do you guys ever get scared?", were just a couple. Crystal passed around a few mineral samples and artifacts while I presented a slide show and a short video. Many of the children expressed interest in joining the group, but were disappointed to find out that they had to be at least eighteen to accompany us on any exploration trips. A few vowed to come find us when they were of age and I heard one child say he was going to take pictures off our website and post them on his MySpace. We passed out little Mojave Underground Mine Team stickers to all the kids and then we finished up by eating chocolate Brownies. Crystal and I were thrilled to talk about our favorite activity while teaching the children about the historical and economical importance of mining past and present. We look forward to many future opportunities teaching children of all ages in many different places.

-Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

What a wonderful opportunity to help educate children regarding historical preservation of mine sites and the adventure of abandoned mine exploration. I hope more opportunities like this come up in the future. Good job Stu and Crystal! Hope your enjoying your Alaskan adventures
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• UnderUtah
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jun 2008

That's just awesome! here I thought you were on a vacation! Great to get the word out to young people about historcial preservation and exploration. If only there were a Utah audeince not totally tainted by S.O.S.A. Great job - I want to see that slideshow presentation!
      Miah
      Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Jake
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Dec 2007

The best way to get people interested is most commonly through their children. Sounds like you guys had fun!
        -Jake Burgess
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
        Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...