Its just an ore bin--soon to be history...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhartill
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

Its just an ore bin--soon to be history...

Although it's a coal mine ore bin, it too deserves to be respected...

The DOGM released their bid on the GSENM reclamation project, then 4 minutes later "cancelled" it; but it still was available for download at the rfpdepot website.

One of the mines is the Dry Fork coal mine, whose ore bin will be given to the successful bidder to do with as they please.. Now granted, it is a collasped ore bin, but....

I wrote Luci Malin and the USFS a week ago for a photo of the ore bin in question, and having heard no response from either of them, I am lifting my self-imposed embargo on this story and asking anyone for help in securing a photo on our own of this ore bin.

Documenting DOGM's disregard for mining history and the giveaway of a NR eligible ore bin to a private contractor.

It’s just an ore bin…
    One of many that dot Utah’s mining landscape. This particular one is located in Sec 4, T 34S R 1E, at the top of the intersection of Corn Creek Road with Main (Old Escalante) Road [about the middle of the Griffin Point 7.5 minute USGS Quad map at Lat 37.79128 Lon -111.79234--these coordinates might be 200 ft off as the mine according to DOGM map is 200ft to the NW of this coordinate] It was part of a coal mining operation in the area west of Escalante, Utah. The coal mine was “reclaimed” years ago by the Utah AMRP, part of the DOGM. DOGM claims to preserve what mining history they can, while ensuring public safety. However, in a recently released, then cancelled construction bid [PM 9002] the DOGM is asking for quotes to remove this ore bin from the area. Public safety? The DOGM documents suggest this collapsed ore bin was left in place after a previous reclamation and was safe then, but now, they want it removed. Sensitivity to history? The bid document explains that this site is NR eligible, meaning someone has previously determined this site to be eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places. Yet the bid specifications indicate that the contractor will be allowed to salvage and remove and/or dispose of this ore bin at the sole discretion of the contractor. In essence, the DOGM is giving the ore bin to the contractor. The wood, the metal fasteners, everything remaining of the ore bin is going to be the contractor’s property.

Since when is the DOGM in the business of giving away mining history? They claim it is at the request and with the landowner’s permission. In this case, it is the Dixie National Forest, USFS, Division of the Department of Agriculture. But in reality it is yours and mine. It belongs to the taxpayers of these United States. I didn’t give permission to donate my ore bin to an as yet-to-be-named contractor, did you? Has any city, county, or state agency been asked if they want this ore bin? [Granted, its condition is described as collapsed, but still, a relic is a relic.]

If you or I tried taking it home and setting it up in our backyard, we would be arrested and charged with violating the 1906 Antiquities Act and possibly also charged with stealing “government” property. But under the terms of this contract, the successful bidder will be able to legally do exactly that which we cannot. Doesn’t any city, county, or state agency wish to salvage this tiny piece of Utah mining history for study and/or interpretation? If so, act fast, the bid may reopen and close again before you know it! Anyone interested in photographing this piece of history should do so now, before it’s too late.

And next time the DOGM gives a presentation and claims to be sensitive to and in the business of protecting mining history, remember,
    “It was just an ore bin….”
  • Crystal

Good eye Russ! I'm glad you caught that bid before they canceled it. I think this is just another piece on information we can use in our battle against the destruction of mining history. Maybe when we all qualify as a "white hat" program we can also give away ore bins. Apparently ore carts are much more historic and valuable than the bins. We need to get pictures of this, if no one has any I will make sure someone gets out there to take some.

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Malin is still at it eh? I was hoping she was getting too old and decrepit to keep making papers to close sites. I don't have any plans to head that direction until the end of October, don't know if I could photograph it in time. If somebody has to take it though, I'd rather it be somebody who actually cares about it. Move it somewhere like a rest stop.
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• one_bad_rover

Ive got pics of it, and the cabin next to it. from when we did our assessment a few weeks ago for the Co. Commision. Im pretty sure they would have no problem with me posting our assessment document.

Comment

• rhartill
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jun 2008

assessment document and update from DOGM

the DOGM (thanks to Chris Rohrer) yesterday supplied me with two photos of the ore bin--but not the cabin--would appreciate seeing the assessment Corey... I will post the DOGM pics as soon as I can..
          -Russ

Comment

Working...