• Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Ophir Canyon Aug 19th-20th

This event has concluded.

We are heading back to our favorite location in Utah, Ophir Canyon!

We will be spending the night at our favorite camping site, located on a grassy wooded patch next to a quiet little stream. We plan on occupying most of our time searching for a few famous mines in the area. Expect to see some new historical places in Utah that are not visited very often. This trip will last two days and you can expect to be home by 8:00pm on August 20th.

Gear List:
    Camping gear: Sleeping bag, tent (depending on weather), clothes, etc.
    Helmet/Hardhat: For exploring mines, let us know ahead if you need to borrow one.
    Headlamp: So you can see all the cool mine stuff!
    Cameras: Make sure they are charged up and ready to rock.
    Sturdy shoes/boots: These come in pretty handy, waterproof preferably.

Food:
    Bring lots of water/sports drinks.
    Pack a light lunch and some snacks.
    Dinner and Breakfast will be provided courtesy of the Mojave Mine Team.

We are heading out on Tuesday August 19th at 3:00pm from the Common Cents / Exxon gas station just off the 1600N Orem I-15 exit #273 For those of you in the Salt Lake Valley, we will also be meeting people at the mouth of Ophir Canyon on the first main dirt road that splits to the left at apx. 4:15pm. .

Please RSVP via Private Message to me, Stu, or Crystal, or RSVP via our meetup group.

Private Message:

Meetup:

If you have any questions feel free to ask them under this topic or via private message.
    We hope you can join us, this will be an excellent trip.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • Crystal

And what date would that be? Tuesday the 29th?

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

that would be the 19th/20th. Its its in the title.
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

Hoping I can make it!
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• whyme82
          Mojave Baby
          • Jul 2008

To all Membrs: I am a land and mine owner in the Ophir District. I have just found out about your trip to Ophir in August. As a land and muine owner, I must tell you that it is a criminal ofense in the State of Utahg to enter, or forcefully enter an abandon mine on private properity, or removes an object form the mine ( ref. Utah Code Section 76-6-206.1). Locol owners have complained to the Sherif and he has pledgd to arrest and the the owners have agreed to prosicute to the fullest extent of the law! Taking underage children into these mines also will be considered as child endangerment, and will also be prosicuted. There is no public land in the Ophir District-you will be trespassing. If you are going to be having open fires at that time of year, that too could bring the law down on you. I have contacted the other owners and they, too, have agreed to the above. I don't mean to be harsh-but these are private lands and should be respected. WM

Comment

• Mike
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by whyme82
            To all Membrs: I am a land and mine owner in the Ophir District. I have just found out about your trip to Ophir in August. As a land and muine owner, I must tell you that it is a criminal ofense in the State of Utahg to enter, or forcefully enter an abandon mine on private properity, or removes an object form the mine ( ref. Utah Code Section 76-6-206.1). Locol owners have complained to the Sherif and he has pledgd to arrest and the the owners have agreed to prosicute to the fullest extent of the law! Taking underage children into these mines also will be considered as child endangerment, and will also be prosicuted. There is no public land in the Ophir District-you will be trespassing. If you are going to be having open fires at that time of year, that too could bring the law down on you. I have contacted the other owners and they, too, have agreed to the above. I don't mean to be harsh-but these are private lands and should be respected. WM
            Thanks for the warning. Mojave Underground does everything in its power to assure that we stay within the bounds of the law and those of land owners. We are currently working with a past resident of Ophir to obtain legal permission from the Aults to visit a few selected sites, and without that permission, we do not trespass. We also do not allow the removal of any mining artifacts within a mine. Part of our creed is to preserve and protect mining history, and removing anything from these mines would go against that.

Those under the age of 18 are not allowed to join us in a mine at any time, as is stated in the Mojave Underground Rules and Regulations.

All the land we plan on visiting is on public lands owned by the BLM, according to BLM land lines and the MASMILS database. I believe it would be more accurate to state that all mining claims are private in the Ophir district, usually as patented mining claims.

Thanks whyme82 for the information. We try our hardest to keep on land owners sides. We understand the safety liability you have by owning a mine and the dangers it puts you in when unsafe people explore these. Hence the reason you agreed to the DOGM's requests to either gate or back fill the mines.

To those planning on attending with us:
            The trip is still on, we are planning on land owner permission before the actual trip. If we fail to obtain it, and the land owners of Ophir refuse our presence, we will simply relocate the event to another prominent area.
            -Fish
            Mojave Mine Team
            MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

Working...