• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Green River/Frisco Expedition

Mojave Underground's biggest trip of the year so far, the Green River Expedition is set to be a blast. Date set is March 28th, 29th, and 30th.

We begin our journey heading south to a privatly owned and beautiful hot spring, Meadow Hot Springs. The water is deep, crystal clear, and an amazing 90F. We'll be spending a couple hours here.

From here, we depart to Green River. Along the way, there are a few abandoned mining communities/ghost towns that we will be checking out.

Once in Green River, we'll be stopping for lunch. Afterwards, we will be heading to the Utah Launch Complex, an abandoned military missile testing facility classified by Popular Mechanics as "The new Area 51".

Our last stop for the day is the soda pop geyser known as Crystal Geyser. Mild sulfufic acid mixes with calcium carbonate and creates carbon dioxide, giving the water its strong fizzyness. We will be camping here for the night along side the river.

Saturday Morning, we depart out to Minersville, where the Lincoln mine, along with many others, are located. We'll explore here for a few hours before heading back up north to the ghost town of Frisco. There are some amazing mines and structures here. We'll camp the night at Frisco, and depart around 8am to head back home. We expect to be returning around 11am Sunday morning, so everybody who is interested can hit up 1:00 church. We are departing from the Orem Maceys, 800N State St. @ SE Corner of parking lot at 9:00 am.

Event Difficulty: 5
    Old Mine Exploration; Swimming; Hiking; Cold Weather Camping

Links:

Google Earth Trip KML: http://www.mediafire.com/?2nemnb03gyn

Come register with us to keep updated on this trip. Were expecting a large turnout. Schedule work off for this amazing weekend trip and bring your friends! We do not require anybody to split gas costs for now, but we greatly appreciate it. Any form of gas donations are well accepted. Transportation is limited, if you have a vehicle you are willing to drive, that will help us out a bunch.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8cApUKD7_M[/youtube]
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • Bryce_james
    Mojave Baby
    • Mar 2008

About how many miles are we looking at?

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Hi Bryce,
      Welcome to Mojave Underground. If you look at my first post, the first link in the Link section has the Google Earth KML for the trip. Round trip, were looking at about 550 miles. Over the three days, thats not too bad. We just have one open seat if you want to carpool. If you've got a small friend, they can fit in the back seat of my truck. Not the most comfortable ride, but gets the job done. There is a good bit off offroading on the way to the geyser (Moab country) and some pretty intense stuff around Minersville. If you've got an offroad vehicle feel free to come!
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Crystal

Sounds like I need to get certified in offroading before this trip, I know last time we went to Minersville we did some pretty intense stuff.
        I know my truck will be able to handle it but will I. . . .?
        How many people are man (or woman) enough to go with us?

Comment

• Mike
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Well if you want Fish Certification, I'm willing to extend a temporary certification if you offroad where we went at least twice a week until then.
          -Fish
          Mojave Mine Team
          MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• coasterolla
            Mojave Baby
            • Mar 2008

Be careful when you guys go out to the complex.. Im thinking about joining the trip.. At least once you guys arrive in green river.. I live about 1 mile from the launch complex.. well the big part of it. And the police have been cracking down pretty hard on anyone who goes out there lately.. Its now in their route. Im sure they would just shew you off the property anyway, nobody has gotten in REAL trouble yet. I made a video for a little project i was doing.. Just some editing and camera angles for a school project.. You can see a pretty good shot of the Missile base at the end of the clip.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSlUnh4moVU[/youtube]

Comment

• Mike
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

Thanks for the heads up coasterolla. We'll have to take extra precautions when we get there. To me, if its not posted No Trespassing, its open game. That was a decent video you made. One of the few student films thats actually held my interest through till the end. Good work. We'd love to have you join us when we get down there. We'll have to meet up around the base.

Again thanks for the info.
              -Fish
              Mojave Mine Team
              MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ryan
                Mojave Child
                • Feb 2008

I think I want to go, but I'm not sure yet.

Comment

• Mike
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

Well we can give the guarantee that you'll have a good time. That's about all I can say to that. You know you want to get out and have an aventure.
                  -Fish
                  Mojave Mine Team
                  MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

Working...