• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UnderUtah
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

Ophir Hill Mine Project Work Beginning 9-17-11

We will be beginning the haulage tunnel clean-up and timbering this Saturday at 9:00 AM. Spots for this Saturday are filling-up fast thanks to our gracious donors. If you haven't already contacted me regarding volunteering labor or materials, please get a hold of me before Friday. This Saturday will consist of some serious mucking to make way for the "new" timber to be installed to shore the tunnel.

After everyone is tired of mucking, Mike and Jeff will be leading donors and volunteers on a little exploration trip to see some of the other things we have been working on extracting from the mine, along with some free-form exploration. We will evaluate our progress at the end of the day and then plan for next Saturday's work and the Saturday after that.

Any labor, materials, or help is much appreciated; but we need to plan accordingly to make the best use of everything. Friday will be the cut-off for scheduling this Saturday so please communicate with me before then. We still need to minimize our "footprint" both at the mine and in the town of Ophir to keep all stakeholders happy, so if you are coming up, try to carpool and be sure we have planned for you.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Thanks again to all our supporters!
    Last edited by UnderUtah; 09-14-2011, 01:24 PM.
    Miah
    Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."
  • iamsquat
    Mojave Teen
    • Jun 2008

ride?

Hey I'd be willing to go...although I will need a ride from and to Provo. PM me for my number if you are able/willing to give me a ride.

James

Comment

• bergdh
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Apr 2008

Anyone headed to the project this weekend from SLC that I could carpool with?
      <big></big>R. Berg #02
      C. Berg
      A. Berg

Supporting Your Adventure

Comment

• UnderUtah
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jun 2008

We will be back at the Ophir Hill this coming Saturday the 24th. to work on the timbering project. If you would like to help with this project or a few of the other peripheral projects, be sure to PM or email me before Friday afternoon so we can manage our assets more efficiently.
        If you can help, please be sure you bring a shovel, if nothing else. Those who may want to help with other projects could be prepared by bringing a cordless drill and a 1/4" drill bit for metal. We have a number of mini plaques to install on the equipment displayed at the bottom of town.
        To be sure we keep our stakeholders happy, make sure we know you are coming and that we account for you beforehand. Thanks again for all of the support in the work we are doing!
        Miah
        Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• ghostwanderer
          Mojave Teen
          • Jan 2011

im going to try and bring 2 shovels as well depends how quick i can get out from work ill try and keep it quit coming in if its around 7pm since i know the delecatness of this here project if i cant get the shovels ill bring a metal bit i dont have a good drill though sold mine when i moved kept my uncles monter corded one from the 40s
          matthew zabriskie

Comment

• lilbro
            Mojave Baby
            • Aug 2011

Are you guys done out to Ophir? I know I'm late on the deal but I would like to come help with anything you guys have left.

Thanks

Comment

• ghostwanderer
              Mojave Teen
              • Jan 2011

lil bro im not sure i know miahs in jersey right now and hed be the one to talk to about it i am also looking at helping sometime
              matthew zabriskie

Comment

• UnderUtah
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jun 2008

Some amazing progress has been made on the pneumatic winch disassembly portion of our larger Ophir Hill Preservation Project. Despite 100 years of rusting, we were able to un-bolt and disassemble 90% of the winch in a single afternoon! On previous trips we had done a great deal of prepatory work though, soaking every fastener with penetrating lubricant and using an 18 volt impact wrench on some of the most stubborn fasteners.

Many thanks to those who have donated time, money, and have worked so hard on this project. Saturday's disassembly isn't the end of the work though, now the real challenge begins - removing all of the huge cast iron components from the top of Crystal's Incline down into the Blue Room and onto the tracks for their final trip out of the mine.

Robert has a bunch of photos of our trip and work on the winch available on his Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...2717150&type=1

Want to get-in on the action? Send me a message so we can include you in our next project trip to the Ophir Hill!
                Miah
                Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• UnderUtah
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jun 2008

Ophir Hill Mine Project Work

After many backbreaking hours we are nearing completion on the pneumatic hoist removal project at the Ophir Hill. All of the components were systematically unbolted from the base of the winch and lowered via rope and pulley system down the 300' length of Crystal's Incline and into the Blue Room. Last Saturday's project was to lower (roll, toss, and muscle) these components down the Blue Room Stope and onto an awaiting rail car. Thanks to the many helping hands and ingenuity of our team we were able to remove all of the disassembled parts except for the cast iron base and flywheel from the mine. With specifications for another custom haulage car solidified, we should be looking to schedule the removal of the heavy cast iron base some time in December.

Robert has posted another video of the work on Facebook

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Please let me know if you would like to be a part of any of these projects at the Ophir Hill!
                  Miah
                  Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• ExpUt
                    True Mojave
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by UnderUtah
                    ...Please let me know if you would like to be a part of any of these projects at the Ophir Hill!
                    December is looking good for me, would love to get out and help. LMK!
                    Kurt Williams
                    CruiserOutfitters.com
                    ExpeditionUtah.com
                    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• lilbro
                      Mojave Baby
                      • Aug 2011

I couldn't get the video to work. Anyone else having problems with it?
                      Thanks

Comment

• Rubyredvet
                        Mojave Cowboy
                        • Sep 2010

Didn't work for me either.

Comment

• KDT1970
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Miner
                          • Sep 2009

no good for me either.
                          but I would like to help work on the ophir.

Comment

• Mike369
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Cowboy
                            • Sep 2010

Fellas, I think that the problem with the link is that it is a Facebook video and if you don't have permissions to view it you can't.

Here is a youtube video he posted. It exploring the ophir hill and not the work that you guys did.

Exploring the Ophir Hill Mine

Comment

Working...