X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Google Books - Mining resource

I've been wandering around through Google Books and found that there are a surprising number of mining references there. Some of the mining journals give general information about specific mines, including the depth of the shafts (something we are often interested in).

One book I found was written in 1897 and tells about the Nevada Comstock. Here's a link if you are interested in taking a look. If you have some spare time you might find some interesting reads hiding in the Google archives.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • jaredbelch
    Mojave Baby
    • Oct 2009

Oh how cool. My great - great grandpa owned part of the Belcher Best mine in the Comstock. It's interesting to read a little about it and see the diagram in that book you linked to.

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by jaredbelch
      Oh how cool. My great - great grandpa owned part of the Belcher Best mine in the Comstock. It's interesting to read a little about it and see the diagram in that book you linked to.
      That's really neat. It's interesting to see how history ties yesterday to today.

Joanne

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Joanne
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2009

I hope that I'm not boring you with these links, but I've stumbled across a couple of other very interesting book from the early 1900's.

The first link is to the 1908 edition of A Manual Of Mining . This book is based on lectures delivered at the School of Mines in Colorado. Since this edition is from 1908, it is the exact technology we normally find in our expeditions. Of course to the authors, the information presented was the current state of the art. Now it explains the artifacts that we are finding. I've downloaded this one for my personal library. I don't think you will be disappointed with this one!!

The second is a link to the Engineering and Mining Journal from 1914. This reference is not as specific as the one listed above, but it does have mining photos from around the world at the turn-of-the-century.

Enjoy!

Joanne

Comment

• John
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Oct 2008

Not boring at all Joanne. Downloading them myself.

Thanks!

Comment

• Derek
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2008

Thanks!
            -Derek
            Mojave Mine Team

Comment

Working...