• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Nevada Mines research resource

Hi all,

As Mojave Underground expands into Nevada, here is a website that has a lot of information. Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology There are maps, mineral reports, and all kinds of other information available. You might find it interesting to check it out.

Here is a real treasure! These folks have started a project to scan old documents pertaining to the various Nevada mining districts. Drill down into the map until you locate the district you are interested in, then click on the link to the scanned documents. One document I looked at dated back to the late 1800s!! For you "researchers" this will be of real interest to you. Nevada mining district documents Then click on Go To The Mining Districts Scanning Project Map link. It's like having your own Nevada mining museum.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • John
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Oct 2008

That's great!

Thanks

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

In a couple of weeks I am heading up to Austin, NV so I started looking at some of the documents from the Reese River District. An interesting find is that in the late 60s the government surveyed and mapped a number of the mines in the area to determine if they could be used as fallout shelters.

Here's one of the maps: Gold Coin map

I can feel this becoming an addiction....

Joanne
      Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

Great links, thanks for sharing!
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mark1955
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Dec 2008

Thanks Joanne! This is great and it sure makes our own DOGM look like a bunch of fools!

Comment

• rhartill
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jun 2008

The NBMG site is a favorite of mine too... We documented some of the wonderful things you can find there at adoptamine.org:

WHOLE publications, maps, and abstracts of mining districts can be found in NV. We would LOVE to start a similar online mining district bibliographic site for UTAH

Comment

• Mark1955
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Dec 2008

It's interesting about the possibility of Mojave aquiring potential liability... For the most part the folks on this site I've been out exploring with are rmore than willing to assume responsability for their own actions... what ever they may be. However a waiver may be in order for those that venture into the mines at Ophir. I woldn't want any one person to sue the owner of the "hill" so it ruins it for the rest of us.

Mark

Comment

• rhartill
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jun 2008

somewhat off topic for NV mining research sources, but feel free to continue conversation on adoptamine.org site, and yes, my understanding is that MU does obtain waivers and they are similar to paintballing waivers, caving waivers, and rockclimbing waivers...

Comment

Working...