• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhartill
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

BLM is at it again

In the early 1980s I recommended Tecopa for interpretation as an excellent interpretive mining site. Instead the BLM ignored my recommendations and instead has recently co-opted my book (without the recommendations) and posted it on their abandoned mine lands website. See for example:

I tried emailing this to the BLM and their webpage refused to send it.. Until 12 noon today, when their website came back up. You can leave feedback to the BLM to encourage them to include ALL of Desert Fever here:

I am concerned that Desert Fever, copyrighted by myself, Gary Shumway and Larry Vredenburgh is being used (without the recommendations I made to the BLM in 1980 to preserve mining history) on a webpage promoting the closure of abandoned mine lands. Such use in my legal opinion violates the letter and the spirit of copyright law and unfairly associates me with BLM efforts to erase and eradicate western american mining history. I am actively engaged in promoting the interpretation of western american mining history and opposed to closing mine lands by backfilling and the eradication of historic mining structures that are mislabeled as public nuisances. Your inclusion of my intellectual property on a webpage encouraging the public to treat mining features as hazards to be eliminated is offensive and undermines my reputation and interests in promoting the safe exploration research and interpretation of mining history.

Please take every effort to include the chapter on preserving our mining heritage in your version of Desert Fever as posted on the BLM website.

Brief discussion of the importance of interpreting mining history of the Southern California desert.

Your prompt attention to this matter is greatly appreciated. The whole message of Desert Fever was that mining history deserves to be interpreted and respected, not erased and backfilled.

To the extent my name and work is associated with efforts to discourage the exploration of mining lands and "fixing" shafts by backfilling them, I must protest and ask that you provide the balance by including the missing chapter on preserving our mining heritage so that my reputation and standing within the mining history community does not suffer any further damage from association with government efforts to close the books on mining history.

Sincerely,

Russell D. Hartill, JD
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

I would be absolutely boiling!!! Keep us posted on their reaction and reply.
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Russ, I know the Gov is always slow responding, but did you ever receive a response to this? I would be furious! Keep us posted!
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Stuart
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

I can't believe these guys! Talk about putting a spin on your work, CNN doesn't run the BLM site do they?
        -Stuart Burgess
        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
        Burgess Exploration LLC
        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

Working...