• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CaverStretch
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Oct 2008

Mine Links

Hope I'm not repeating the links, but I found some interesting stuff.

This is the history of Death Valley, where that bitter stream the Amargosa dies. It embraces the whole basin of the Amargosa from the Panamints to the Spring Mountains, from the Palmettos to the Avawatz. And it spans a century from the earliest recollections and the oldest records to that day in 1933 when much of the valley was finally set aside as a National Monument. This is the story of an illusory land, of the people it attracted and of the dreams and delusions they pursued-the story of the metals in its mountains and the salts in its sinks, of its desiccating heat and its revitalizing springs, and of all the riches of its scenery and lore-the story of Indians and horse thieves, lost argonauts and lost mine hunters, prospectors and promoters, miners and millionaires, stockholders and stock sharps, homesteaders and hermits, writers and tourists. But mostly this is the story of the illusions-the illusions of a shortcut to the gold diggings that lured the forty-niners, of inescapable deadliness that hung in the name they left behind, of lost bonanzas that grew out of the few nuggets they found, of immeasurable riches spread by hopeful prospectors and calculating con men, and of impenetrable mysteries concocted by the likes of Scotty. These and many lesser illusions are the heart of its history.

Brief discussion of the importance of interpreting mining history of the Southern California desert.

Captured from the NPS website, this is a pdf version of the famous two volume set covering every mine within Death Valley National Monument.
    Robert Cranney
    Mojave Mine Team
    The "Dude with the Trailer"

"It's time to put on your big girl panties and climb that ladder."
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

Mike, Stu, Miah, Roberto,

Go to the Socalfun places and look at the Underground City mine and you will see a huge mine that has cold war stuff in it that I was talking about. It isn't very far from Vegas and there has to be more than one entrance.
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Stuart
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Haha, we can get in Any mine that big has multiple entrances, chances are they just blasted the main.

Looks pretty sweet! When we head down there again this fall we should scout it out.
      -Stuart Burgess
      Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
      Burgess Exploration LLC
      http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
      Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

A couple of those links are courtesy of Mojave member Russel Hartill
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• rhartill
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jun 2008

Thanks Caver and ExpUt for the plugs...Yes, in the early 1980s I recommended Tecopa for interpretation as an excellent interpretive mining site. Instead the BLM ignored my recommendations and instead has recently co-opted my book (without the recommendations) and posted it on their abandoned mine lands website. See for example:

Comment

• UnderUtah
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jun 2008

I'd be totally up in arms, Russ. I thought that it was ILLEGAL to reproduce copyrighted works whether in part or entirety without written permission of the copyright holder - and to promote the OPPOSITE message of the infringed work is even that much more offensive. Unreal. Perhaps a nicely worded reminder that copyright law still applies even in the internet age...
            Miah
            Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• rhartill
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jun 2008

Not very smart of the BLM to misuse the copyright of an author who happens to be an ATTORNEY! EVEN IF they may claim the original DF research contract was purchased by them. I have demanded that they include my recommendations chapter on their website--if I don't get satisfaction, I'll consider suing them. Stealing my own words, editing important parts completely OUT of their version, and using same to promote a practice that is anathema to me just BURNS MY BUSCUITS....

Comment

• Dawn_CL
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Nov 2009

Best of luck in trying to sue the GOVERNMENT, whether its local or federal. Those days are long gone by with unfortunately.
                Who do you think the judges will be in favor of? ... regardless of how much evidence you may have or how much 'wrong' you think they did or actually did. The government scratches each others backs as everybody already knows.. I tried it once with a local government source but it didnt work even though THEY was clearly in the wrong. Nowadays its who knows who or who has the most money and whoever does wins the case. Now, since the government has more money than most of us do and could keep the lawsuits going until we are broke, guess who wins? Unfortunately, THEY do.

Dawn
                Dawn

Comment

Working...