• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike369
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Sep 2010

HI everybody!

I'm new to the forum and am excited to explore this site. I am fairly new to mine exploration but have been an novice explorer for a while. I am really excited about getting into this and seeing some neat mines. The only real question I have is what kind of helmet should I get? Anyways, it is going to be fun to meet everybody and to start going out with you guys.

• btay801
    Mojave Teen
    • Jul 2009

I just have the $6 helmet i bought at the Army/Navy Surplus store and it works fine for now! And it is a good platform to drill holes in to mount lights on until you get the funds to buy a climbing helmet.

I have been meeting up with Mojave Underground for 2 years now and absolutely love every trip. The leadership team (Stu, Crystal, Miah, Mike, Jeff and Shawn.) are very knowledgeable and fun to hang out with. You found the right site!!! WELCOME.

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

Before I bought a climbing helmet, I was using a bicycle helmet with a Princeton Tec Fuel headlamp mounted on it. It worked find although I have to admit that it looked a bit goofy. I keep it around as an extra when someone wants to join me but doesn't have their own helmet. If you are going to get serious about exploration I would suggest a climbing helmet. If money is tight you might be able to find a skateboarding helmet at a yard sale. They have impact resistance and are generally closer fitting than the bike helmets.

After having used my Princeton Tec Apex headlamp for a while now, I'm really pleased with it. It has two modes, spot and flood. Each of the modes has high and low power settings.

Joanne
      Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

Welcome to the forum!
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mike369
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Sep 2010

So I decided that I am going to get a skatboard helemt for $20. It is hard plastic with a foam liner that should be comfortable to wear for a while. Also I think the pastic will hold up to gluing or drilling, at least until I can get a better climbing or mining helmet. Now what is a decent light to get?

Comment

• Joanne
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Mike369
            Now what is a decent light to get?
            There are lots of options available on the market right now. A lot of it depends on how much you want to spend. My original headlamp was a Princeton Tec FUEL. It worked well and was priced right. It isn't a flame-thrower, but it puts out adequate light. Of course you'll want a back up light or two. Once you get past the entrance of a mine, your light becomes a life support device. Without a light your chance of getting out of mine alive would decrease dramatically. My own opinion is that you don't have to spend a lot of money, but the light(s) you purchase should be of good quality.

I have a primary headlamp and backup light mounted on my helmet, and carry a hand held too. Look at the various photos posted on this forum and you will see a lot of different configurations.

Joanne
            Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• ghostshot
              Mojave Child
              • Jul 2010

Welcome Mike369! This is a great site!

Does a hard hat qualify...anyone?
              So many ghosts, so little time.

Comment

• Jeff
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Nov 2008

Welcome to MU.

Yes a hard hat does qualify however a helmet or hard hat with a chin strap is preferred.
                Jeff
                Mojave Mine Team
                Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• ghostshot
                  Mojave Child
                  • Jul 2010

Jeff,thank you for your reply.
                  So many ghosts, so little time.

Comment

• Jeff
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Nov 2008

Sure No problem.
                    Jeff
                    Mojave Mine Team
                    Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• Mike369
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Cowboy
                      • Sep 2010

So I have been using a $15 skatboard helmet. It is great because it is easily modifiable and has enough padding so that when I nail my head it doesn't put me down and out.

Comment

• Stuart
                        Administrator
                        True Mojave
                        • Sep 2007

Welcome to the site Mike!

I'd say that a skateboard helmet is a step above a hardhat because it has a chinstrap, but I think eventually the extra weight will make you want to go with a climbing helmet. The base weight of a helmet becomes very important when you start to add lights.
                        -Stuart Burgess
                        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                        Burgess Exploration LLC
                        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

Working...