X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stin
    Mojave Baby
    • Aug 2010

Noob here

Hey guys new to the forums, And have a few questions that maybe you can answer.I live in Stockton Utah And am an avid atv owner.My home is about 10 minutes away from were the boy died in 1996.Now ive been riding the area and there are shafts all over the place so i started to do dome research of some of the mines here.
    What shaft did the boy go down,from the point on google maps there is no shaft there but there is 5 in very close proximity with 1 lower down the canyon thats been concreted and rebared.
    Also is there any maps to the mines themselves (underground) ? The reason why i ask is i enjoy the history but just want to stay safe while riding with my family ill post some pics so if any of you are familiar with the area maybe shed some light for me.
    From an old guy be safe and dont take chances and maybe if i was younger i might have the.... to go in one. Thanks for you time!!!!
  • cherokeepilot85
    Mojave Teen
    • Apr 2009

The mine you are referring to is the Honerine mine, and the shaft that Jeremiah fell down is inside the mine (not visible on the surface). See the attached link below to view a lengthy discussion on the Honerine and the Jeremiah incident.
    One of the pictures I posted in the first posting shows the shaft in the background, the one Jeremiah fell down.

Honerine mine and the Jeremiah Etherington trajedy
    - Craig

Comment

• stin
      Mojave Baby
      • Aug 2010

Hey thanks for the responce,Ya i understand the shaft was inside my question was what entrance did he use to get to were hes was at? Theres so many shafts in the area.
      Also it was your post i seen that got me thinking about this,Because the one shaft has rebar over it but some one has cut a small area in it so they could gain entry to it

Comment

• Jeff
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Nov 2008

Welcome to the forum.
        Jeff
        Mojave Mine Team
        Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• acidman1968
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by stin
          Hey thanks for the responce,Ya i understand the shaft was inside my question was what entrance did he use to get to were hes was at? Theres so many shafts in the area.
          Also it was your post i seen that got me thinking about this,Because the one shaft has rebar over it but some one has cut a small area in it so they could gain entry to it
          I know which shaft you're talking about, and I'm quite certain that isn't the Honerine Mine entrance.

As for what that particular mine is named, I really don't know, but I've seen where some folks have removed a section of the rebar grating over it so they could enter the steeply inclined (not vertical) shaft.

Oh, and welcome to MU! I'm fairly new here myself, but I've had a good time reading through the threads - as well as exploring the surface of the mining areas down by Stockton, up by Jacob City, in Ophir Canyon and surrounding areas... Unfortunately for me, I haven't made it out too often so far this year. Hopefully that will change soon.
          I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

Working...