X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom  Ver Hoef
    Mojave Baby
    • Jul 2010

Exploring Mines

Hi, my name is Tom Ver Hoef, and I and two friends own the Tecopa Mines. Not all mines that are inactive are abandoned. Someone owns them, if only the Federal Gov. As for my mines, I want people to enjoy themselves exploring the mines and surrounding areas. But please, pack out all garbage and other refuse. No one wants to walk through somebody's Else's trash. I would like to request that all persons entering these mines first sign a waiver of liability, so that I don't have to close them to all entrance. For the War Eagle Mine contact Phil Lemons at 714 750-8745. For all others contact me at 916 359-5449. And of course all activities are at you own risk. Have a good time and be safe.
    Tom Ver Hoef
  • Kiel
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

Welcome and thanks for the invite
    Underground Baby!

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm from Las Vegas and have been exploring the mines down south of town. I've ridden my motorcycle over to Tecopa and enjoyed the hot springs, but haven't checked out the War Eagle or other mines in that area. Thanks for letting us know to contact you or Jim before heading out that way. I would bet that the folks on this list are the ones who pick up after themselves (and after the idiots who think the desert is a land fill).

As the owner of these mines, would you be able to provide us with some of the history of these mines?

When I am at an old site I am always wondering who the men were who worked the mines. What was their story? Many of the mines around here were working before Las Vegas was much more than a couple of mud huts. Prospectors where exploring these hills back when the closest town could be a hundred miles away. When a misstep and a broken ankle could cost a man his life. Truly amazing.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. Welcome aboard!

Joanne
      Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Tom  Ver Hoef
        Mojave Baby
        • Jul 2010

There is a soft cover book of about 50 pages detailing the complete history of the mines for sale at the local museum, China Ranch Date Farm, and possibly at the Hot Springs. Your right about trash pick up, as they say "locks keep honest people honest". The mines began in 1881, and had three major periods of intense mining.
        Tom Ver Hoef

Comment

• ExpUt
          True Mojave
          • Jul 2008

Welcome to the forum Tom!
          Kurt Williams
          CruiserOutfitters.com
          ExpeditionUtah.com
          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...