• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acidman1968
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2010

Greetings!

I finally got around to registering - after spending some time lurking and browsing through the threads.

By way of introduction, I'm acidman1968. I currently live in Tooele, UT and I greatly enjoy learning about the history of the area, including the mining history. While I'm not an "underground explorer" per se, I do enjoy hiking in the hills around Tooele and taking pics of the areas I wander around in. I'm currently 42 years old, and although "round" is a shape, I'm out of shape, which is why when I'm out exploring, I'm usually taking my dear sweet time hiking...

My current occupation is at Kennecott Utah Copper's (or Rio Tinto's) smelter, where I've worked for the past 13 years in the central control room. It's a fun job, and it can be quite stressful at times when the plant isn't running smoothly.

Working for Kennecott isn't where I started enjoying learning about mining history, but it sure didn't hurt, either.

I can be an opinionated pain in the butt, but for the most part, I'm quite easy going.

Politically, I'm listed as an "Independent" - but what I really am is an American.

I don't agree with the various government entities destroying old mining/milling sites, because to me that's destroying vital pieces of history. If those same government entities were going around bulldozing old Native American sites, people would be having a conniption fit - but because "they're just old dangerous mines" that are being shut, the majority of the general public doesn't really care.

How much of the westward expansion of the United States is due to mining? A lot.

How vital is mining to our continued standards of living? Extremely.

Instead of destroying old mining camps, they should be preserved, or at the very least, left alone to slowly fall down on their own.

Anyway, I came across this site years ago while browsing through some websites about ghost towns, and then more recently, I "found" this site again while searching for information about some mines in the Oquirrh Mountains... I'm not exactly sure how much I can contribute to the discussions and such though, after all, I'm not an historian. I'm just a middle-aged guy who enjoys getting out and about every so often.
    I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...
  • Crystal

Welcome to the site officially acidman1968, glad you finally signed up.
    You sound like the kind of character we like around here, a true American. Your smelting job sure sounds interesting, I'd love to hear more. I don't know if you noticed our banner at the bottom of the page but MU is involved in help hosting a historic mining conference this month in Park City. I hope you will join us there and if you'd like we could even save you a spot to be a speaker and talk about your job at Kennecott. Let me know if you are interested or if you have any questions.

Also check out our sister site Meetup for the lasted underground exploration activity.

Again welcome!

Comment

• rhartill
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jun 2008

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum, glad you signed up! I have been enjoying for a long time some of acidman's mining history photos here:

I second Crystal's suggestion. Come on up to Park City and tell us a little about what its like to work for Kennecott and what you have found and photographed in Tooele County..

-Russ

Comment

• Joanne
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2009

Welcome to the forum! Glad that you decided to jump in and join us... I'll have to spend some time looking at your photos.

I spent today taking my son and one of his friends through a couple of local mines. His friend had never been in one before and he was really excited about it. It was about 108 out there today so they got a good feel for what it would be like to be out there with no air conditioning. As we drove past a large pile of old tin cans I explained that the mines didn't get much fresh food and that most everything they ate came from cans. I explained that "back in the day" it would have been a day's ride to the closest town. He was amazed at the size of the stopes in the mine. On our way home he stated "I have a whole new respect for those miners!" The boys got a real history lesson.

Joanne
        Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• acidman1968
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Crystal
          Welcome to the site officially acidman1968, glad you finally signed up.
          You sound like the kind of character we like around here, a true American. Your smelting job sure sounds interesting, I'd love to hear more. I don't know if you noticed our banner at the bottom of the page but MU is involved in help hosting a historic mining conference this month in Park City. I hope you will join us there and if you'd like we could even save you a spot to be a speaker and talk about your job at Kennecott. Let me know if you are interested or if you have any questions.

Also check out our sister site Meetup for the lasted underground exploration activity.

Again welcome!
          Thanks for the invite to the shindig up in Park City. Unfortunately, I've already got stuff planned with my wife that weekend, so I (or we) won't be able to make it.

As for sharing information about my job, I could probably do that any time - but it would have to be understood that I'm not "officially" speaking for Kennecott. Any views or information I would provide would be strictly my own.

Also, if you'd like, I've got close to 1,000 pics that were on a network drive here at work - historic pics of early mining activities in Bingham Canyon (along with pics of mining equipment and such from other mines) that I could probably send to you (or whoever it is who runs the historic gallery on this site) to share with other people interested in the history of the area. I think I've even got some pics of the early smelters here at the northern tip of the Oquirrh Mountains.

Comment

• acidman1968
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Jun 2010

Re: Welcome!

Originally posted by rhartill
            Welcome to the forum, glad you signed up! I have been enjoying for a long time some of acidman's mining history photos here:

I second Crystal's suggestion. Come on up to Park City and tell us a little about what its like to work for Kennecott and what you have found and photographed in Tooele County..

-Russ
            One thing to note about my panoramio account, is that I do NOT post pics of cabins and such there. The pics I've posted on panoramio (for the most part) have been uploaded into Google Earth, and I really don't want to give vandals information on where they can find these old cabins or other structures. I've posted pics of ore bins - because for the most part, people can (and do) ride their ATVs right to them.

Most of my exploring is done on foot, because I don't have an ATV, and I don't want to take my Dakota into some of the areas where I go, so I park close by and hike. It's good exercise, and I really need it - especially considering my job here at Kennecott entails sitting on my butt for 12 hours per shift... Then of course, I'm a rock-hound, so my pack is usually 15 or 20 pounds heavier than when I left because I typically pick up cool looking rocks to take home so my wife can see 'em. LOL

Comment

Working...