X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kao
    Mojave Child
    • Jan 2010

Hi from AZ

Well now I finally found a forum and website that shares similar interests.

a bit bout me.

The past.

As far back as I can remember I have been going on trips all over AZ with my dad. He is into metal detecting, as such I have been granted the opportunity to see many spectacular ghost towns and old remains in Arizona.

Metal detecting while not my thing; I enjoyed going on every trip that I could to explore where ever I was taken. Every time a new adventure awaited.

What sparked the interest in mine exploration.

Many years ago my uncle came to town for Christmas and decided to take my grandmother, and I along with his family to Bisbee. I got to see old town Bisbee and the such. Then later in the afternoon we went to the Copper Queen Mine and had a guided tour of the place. I got to ride a little train through the mine and see the tour area. I had an absolute blast on the trip and yearned to see what was beyond.

My first time.

After moving back To Arizona from Utah about a year ago, I got back with my old friends and one of them had explored a mine in the Bradshaw mountains. I told him that sounded fun and thus my first trip out was the weekend flowing. That trip was fun, he took me to the relatively small mines he explored. and after a few hours we went looking on for a new one to explore and we walked up to an audit that was blowing some major air and went in. found out later that it was The Golden Turkey mine. that mine was amazing and long several levels.

From this i have joined a caving group in Arizona. gone on a few trips with them. and also researched and learned a great deal more on safety, locations, and other tidbits of helpful information.

And my second trip was to the De Soto Mine a few miles up the road. i never thought that i would see water deeper then my light or any other could penetrate, and a water table that's high inside a mountain.

I have found out from all these event combined that I truly love exploring the underground.

Thanks and hope to get to know you all and find like minded people to collaborate with and further my knowledge in this filed.
    Adventure Adventure Adventure !!

Solitude Underground
  • John
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Oct 2008

Welcome to MU.

Comment

• Derek
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2008

Welcome!
      -Derek
      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• lobster68w
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Dec 2008

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the forums!

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Jeff
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Nov 2008

Welcome to MU! The mines in Arizona would be awesome to explore this time of year.
          Jeff
          Mojave Mine Team
          Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• Dawn_CL
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Nov 2009

Hello Kao and Welcome.

Its nice to see another Arizonan on here. I reside just outside of Kingman on a claim i have which has 3 mines on it. One of the mines i work alot which is a small underground one, the second one is a small surface mine, mainly nothing more than a deep trench cut through a barre of white quartz which i work in spells, and the third is one that i dont work because of how weak the collar is and it is very difficult to get the tools/equipment up there that would be needed to fix it up safely and work it.
            I have been to most of the mines around the area here but most are not as most would want to see as they are nothing more than 30-40 ft holes dug or blasted out. Tunnelling in these probably do not run more than 15 or 20 feet. I have heard theres ALOT of really good mines up around those Bradshaw Mountains. They are just riddled from I-17 between Black Canyon City and Cordes to on out past Cleator and up into Crown King. Those particular areas id love to hit. Ive been up in those areas several times but never had the opportunity to hit the mines. Now that ive got a pretty good map of where the mines are and i know fairly well of the area i will probably plan on hitting that area, maybe this summer.
            There is also a few interesting mines off Rt 93 north of Phoenix out around the 'Signal' area just outside of Wickieup but ive heard by a few friends ive got around there that those mines was sealed up. I was once down at where the Signal silver mine supposedly is but never found the actual mine although i was told that it was sealed up many years ago and that the property supposedly is patented although i dont know how true this is. I know that that mine has a "caretaker" around there from time to time, which i have met. That may be the clue that this mine really does have a patent on it.
            The next time i get the opportunity to pan down in Burro Creek, ill drop by Signal to see if i can locate that mine. Im hoping i can get down there in the spring before the weather gets too hot and before the monsoons hit so i can get across the Big Sandy back in there. Last time i was back in there to try locating that mine the Big Sandy was severely flooded so i just panned awhile and headed back home.
            If im ever down that way and you are interested, we could meet somewhere in Wickenburg and we could do a joint venture to those mines(the Signal, Greenwood Mine and McCracken mines as they are all near the same vicinity). I make runs to Wickenburg every so often to pick up mining supplies (at Miners Creek Mining Supplies) there in Wickenburg and we could always meet there. Sometimes i like to head down there to Burro Creek to pan if the water is low enough. Again am not sure how early this may be but my next run down that way will possibly be near Spring of this year.

Dawn
            Dawn

Comment

• Joanne
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jul 2009

Welcome to the Mojave! I'm no stranger to Arizona since I grew up there. I've been up in Las Vegas since I graduated from NAU.

One of the best resources available to any mine explorer is the mine database that you can find right here on the forum. It covers the entire west and lists almost every mine ever dug. The neat thing is that it is imported into Google Earth and shows a "pushpin" at the site of each mine. I use it when I'm getting ready to head out looking for a new mine to explore.

Joanne
              Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Kao
                Mojave Child
                • Jan 2010

to Joanne:

I found that resource last morning, and it looks awesome. its like my database but finished. i bought a database from the Arizona mineral and mining museum that has every mine, claim hole. and a list of abundant known minerals in the area it is in. i still need to convert most counties into kml files.

and also because of my dads hobby i have access to his personal library on old towns and the such in Arizona. most of which are mining towns.

Dawn_CL:

it would be great to get together sometime. I am not going to be in Arizona to much longer though. I go to basic training for the US Army on march 2nd , and consequently will be gone away for a long time.

But aside me there are several other interested people among my group that loves to explore. maybe we can set up a time to go on a trip.

Also thanks for the welcome!

Solitude Underground

Comment

• Dawn_CL
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Miner
                  • Nov 2009

Hi Kao,

Whats the name of that publication you got from the ADMM? Id like to get me a copy if they still have them available.

Dawn
                  Dawn

Comment

• Stuart
                    Administrator
                    True Mojave
                    • Sep 2007

Welcome Kao!

Good to have another AZ member on board! We are very interested in exploring the mines of the Goldfield area, hopefully we can get out there soon and maybe meet up with you.
                    -Stuart Burgess
                    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                    Burgess Exploration LLC
                    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Kao
                      Mojave Child
                      • Jan 2010

Dawn_CL :

Its from AZMILS. i put a copy of it here for you to grab and anyone else interested. http://solitudeunderground.com/data/

Stuart :

Sounds like fun goldfield is very close to the phoenix metropolitan area and it wouldn't surprise me if many of those mines near there were caped off, might have to go a bit deeper into the superstitions to find accessible ones.

and i can meet up with y'all i have a very relaxed schedule till I ship out.

Solitude Underground

Comment

• Mike
                        Administrator
                        True Mojave
                        • Sep 2007

The original Goldfield mines are actually somewhat maintained. Much of what can be found of at the Goldfield ghost town came from the Goldfield mine. The owner is quite a nice fellow and a good friend of my uncle. He tells me that he's been all through the mines, but hasn't come close to seeing everything.
                        -Fish
                        Mojave Mine Team
                        MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Kao
                          Mojave Child
                          • Jan 2010

That is good to know, and sounds like it was a big mine in witch a lot more exploring is needed.

Solitude Underground

Comment

• Dawn_CL
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Miner
                            • Nov 2009

I got it Kao. Thanks for the link.

Not sure how soon i can get down that way though but will try if my schedule allows.

And Mike, dammit, you never sent me my UM patch.

Dawn
                            Dawn

Comment

• Crystal

Welcome to the site Kao, great to have you aboard!

And Mike, dammit, you never sent me my UM patch. Sad

Dawn
                              I have control of the patches, if you want one ask me. (provided that you earned it )

Comment

Working...