X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrone76
    Mojave Baby
    • Oct 2009

Provo Canyon Spanish Silver Mine

I'm looking for people that have explored, heard about, or know the history of one of the Spanish Silver mines in Rock Canyon near Provo, UT. I explored it 20 years ago, went back and found it barred over on the lower entrance. Curious if anyone has more info. Thanks.
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

I've got some info on the 'mines' in Rock Canyon, but nothing relating or referencing to them as having any link to Spanish connections. Wish I could be of more help.
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• jrone76
      Mojave Baby
      • Oct 2009

Some more info...

I went to the Provo Library around 1990 and actually found a book printed from the 1940's. It talked about this mine that I explored and even had sketches of the mine. It had a picture (pencil drawing I think) of a pulley system from the mouth up to the mine entrance. They used slaves at first to run the pulley then mules or donkeys. The dates that seem to be in my memory of when the Spanish mined this mine was something like 1790's or something. Then was mined again by the locals when the pioneers came west in the 1840's or something. Maybe 60's. Anyway. I went back to look for the book about a year ago to back up what I said above but have been stumped. Its too bad, it was a really cool book.

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

Man, that does sounds like a good book. Somebody has to know more about it. Let us know if your able to dig up more information.

Here is what my reference notes:

"Although the geology of the other portions of the Wasatch Range in in the Utah Valley have some ore potential, few have been developed with any success. One area that has been heavily prospected is Rock Canyon, as there are exposed ore bodies with lead carbonate and galena with low levels of silver plus high levels of iron. However, only one mine has been successfully developed in the Canyon (Butler et al 1920). The Monarch Mine was begun during the early twentieth century mining euphoria that also swept American Fork Canyon. It has been mined fairly continuously since that time by the Buckley Family"

Maybe a call to this Buckley family would yield some great insight?
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...