• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Introduction from Las Vegas

Hi all,

Interesting group you have here. A bit out of the mainstream, but I'll bet you like it that way. LOL!

I've been poking around old mines since I was little and following my Dad around southern Arizona on his hunting trips. The old buildings and equipment fascinated me then and continue to do so even today. In high school I became interested in photography. (you can see where this is going…) I also did a bit of caving with a couple of guys I knew. College found me doing some technical rock climbing and being a search & rescue volunteer. As seems to happen to so many of us, life got in the way of all the fun I used to have. It's been a lot of years since I've done any climbing or rope work, but I have continued to take mine photos as the opportunity has presented itself.

Recently a friend of mine loaned me a book by Will Meyerriecks named "Drills and Mills...Precious Metal Mining and Milling Methods of the Frontier West”. For those who haven't seen the book, it's an amazing discussion of mining techniques, equipment, refining, and smelting during the 1800s and 1900s. I'm going to buy a copy for myself as well as a friend of mine who worked as a geologist in his younger years. Needless to say the book has rekindled my interested in the old mines. One great thing about living in Las Vegas is that there are hundreds of mines within a few hours drive.

About a year ago I went on a run with a local off-road club and we ended up at a neat mine south and west of Vegas. It has an ore hopper (I’m sure that’s the wrong term for it) that is significantly deteriorated, but still recognizable and a great photo opportunity. A few of the members decided to explore the entrance of the mine, and although I was taught from a very young age to NEVER go in a mine, I decided to take a quick look too. We didn’t go very far into the mine but I was intrigued by the various ore chutes, ladders and drifts leading off the main adit.

This past weekend a friend from work and I headed back out to the mine to do some photography and a little further mine exploration. We spent a few hours hiking around the area looking at the tailings piles and the different entrances into the mine at the various levels. I had wanted to try some photography inside the mine so we walked back into the working part of the mine to start shooting. This was my first experience at trying to photograph underground and found it to be a bit of a learning experience. The guy I was with had recently purchased an external flash for his Cannon and I immediately saw the benefit of a high power flash in an underground setting. I’ll post some photos as soon as I get a chance. The only issue the whole day was when I was working my way down the tailing pile and lost my footing. I’m now nursing a skinned up knee and a large bruise on my right hip. (It sucks to get old and clumsy).

As an aside, I also do a lot of Dutch Oven cooking and camping in the teardrop style camping trailer that I built. I run a website for camp cooking and one for the build of my camping trailer, but when I read the Forum Rules it indicated we are not supposed to give links to other websites. (I don’t want to get in trouble on my very first posting. LOL!)

Anyway, I’ll post up some of my various mine photos in the next couple of weeks. They aren’t anything special, but for a bunch of “mine geeks” they’ll probably be interesting to look through.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Welcome to the site Joanne!
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Jeff
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Nov 2008

Welcome Joanne, Awesome intro! You have come to the right place for mine photography. We are having a photography workshop in the Ophir Hill mine on the 22nd of August, click the meetup link in the link bar above for more details. Hope to see you there.
      Jeff
      Mojave Mine Team
      Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• Derek
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2008

Welcome!
        -Derek
        Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• John
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Oct 2008

A big Welcome to you Joanne.

Comment

• Mike
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

Welcome to Mojave Underground! Can't wait to see your photos of the mine. Don't be afraid to venture deeper into that mine with your friends.

You are more than welcome to post links to external sites in your posts. It is also ok to post links in your signature as long as you get a moderator to approve of it (Which I do approve )

Thanks for signing up and introducing yourself!
            -Fish
            Mojave Mine Team
            MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Joanne
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jul 2009

Thanks for the warm welcome! I do appreciate it.

Jeff, I would love to come up for the photography event. I will be checking out my schedule to see if I can make it up there. It's a pretty long haul up there so if I can make it up I'll be camping in my little trailer.

Mike, thanks for the approval! I too run a discussion group and understand trying to keep everything going in the right direction. I like the forum you have going here. I'm looking forward to sharing my photos. Since few of my friends have any interest in old mines, it's great to find some folks who might enjoy them. I'm out of town for work right now so it will be a couple of days before I get back home and post up some pics.

There are a ton of mines south of town. I would like to locate and photo-document some of them.

Joanne

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Mike
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

Have you taken a look at our Google Earth and Excel mine database? download it here:

The Nevada Google Earth KML file shows a huge mass of mines just to the south west of Las Vegas. You'll find their location and name on the map. You can use the excel file to find out what was mined there, when it was mined, and a little more about the mine.

It is a way to travel to attend our photo workshop underground, but as Jeff said, you are welcome to join us. We'd love to get you into one of the most amazing mines in the west.
                -Fish
                Mojave Mine Team
                MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Joanne
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Mike
                  Have you taken a look at our Google Earth and Excel mine database? download it here:

The Nevada Google Earth KML file shows a huge mass of mines just to the south west of Las Vegas. You'll find their location and name on the map. You can use the excel file to find out what was mined there, when it was mined, and a little more about the mine.

It is a way to travel to attend our photo workshop underground, but as Jeff said, you are welcome to join us. We'd love to get you into one of the most amazing mines in the west.
                  Not yet...I'm in Reno for work right now. I'll download it when I get home on my own PC. I'm really interested in seeing the information on it. I'm interested in knowing more about the mines I've been to.

Joanne

Comment

Working...