X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bradyb
    Mojave Baby
    • Apr 2009

Howdy! Mines in Sandy? Joy?

Hello Folks. This forum appears to be pretty dang cool. I can appreciate all the info but I might be able add some more.

We do a camping trip every year and the last couple years have been at Joy UT. I believe this area is where the Black Boy and Ibex mines were located? This is a great site with plenty of standing structures to explore and some very interesting mines. You have your standard mine shafts going into the mountain side but there are tons of open pits and holes all over the place. You can spend a couple days out there exploring. The addition of grave sites adds to the fun too. I'll get some pics up when I can. Why isn't Joy on the MU map? There are still giant piles of black rock there, I would like to know what those piles are, you can see them just fine with Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Joy+(Site),+U T+84083&sll=39.758408,-112.548065&sspn=0.282403,0.700378&ie=UTF8&split=0& ll=39.568349,-113.035004&spn=0.008849,0.021887&t=h&z=16

I grew up exploring mine sites that were with in walking distance of our house in Sandy UT. I grew up in a house just down the mountain by the "Le Caille" 2 kilometers sign on Wasatch Blvd (about 80th S). There were several mines up on the mountain right there in that area. I was 13-14 years old climbing all over those mountains and found a lot of mine shafts. You can can see the tailing piles from Wasatch Blvd, there used to be a 4x4 trail right off of Little Cottonwood Road just past where Wasatch Blvd splits off, that went to those mines. The trails are still there. The trail that went up to a higher mine is still there, you could probably make it up there with an ATV if you can get past the neighbors. Check out the trail going up the ridge lline:http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...21887&t=h&z=16 There was an open mine up that road and it might be high enough that it is still open.

A couple small canyons north from there is a road that ends labeled "Golden Hills Canyon Road". Up that canyon I don't remember which direction there was a good size mine with 3 big openings, braced with lumber, each side by side. You could enter those mines 16 years ago, probably not now.

Also, there was FCC camp up in the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon on the south Bonneville shoreline . There are some old tools and ditches still up there behind the houses on "Silver King Circle". There are tailings up that small Canyon (Ferguson Canyon). My grandparents live in that circle so I've been all over those mountains as well. There is an open shaft right in the middle of this link. http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...01368&t=h&z=20 . The shaft faces West, it's about 30 feet up from the small trail that runs from Silver King Circle to Ferguson Canyon trail. Follow the loose rock to find the hole, look for protruding roots above the hole that you can almost see from the trail. The shaft is in solid rock and only goes in for about 100 feet. The tunnel has some excellent translucent bugs in it.

I also found some mine shafts way up on the cliffs above the south side of Bell Canyon. Those shafts are narly, I have no idea how those were mined. The only reason we even found those was because we were looking for the engine from a crashed Cessna that hit up there.

One more, there was a section of railway with a railway car on it up on the north side of Little Cottonwood Canyon. It's probably the remains of the Alta line, it sure was awesome to find for a 14 year old kid.

If anyone knows the history of these mines I found as a kid I would greatly appreciate hearing what you know. I remember sitting in Elementary school and hearing about "Rag Town" that was a mining community just off Wasatch Blvd at about 80th S. Has anyone been in these mines recently?
  • Troy
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Mar 2009

Cool post Brady. I have never been to Joy, but that sounds like something I would be interested in checking out for sure.

The Cottonwood Canyons have some really cool history behind them. As a little boy, my uncle took me to a mine behind his cabin up in Big Cottonwood. He wouldn't let me go in, but since then I have been hooked. Regrettably, the mine is now completely back filled. Since then, I have found several open mines up in the Cottonwood Canyons. I am hesitant to tell you where they are due to the fact that this is a public forum. PM me if you are interested, and we'll talk. I'm new to this group, and have no idea what Mojave Underground thinks about posting our favorite places. I guess i'm just worried that the Mine reclamation people can view this website as well as anybody and could go out of their way to close mines that we post about.- Or even that they think are closed. Maybe that's too paranoid, I guess i'll have to wait and see how some people in this group feel about that subject.

Most of the mines i'm talking about are a good hike. Too much of a hike for these guys to haul their fat butts up the mountain to close. Seems like i'm finding more and more that I have to hike to decent mines that these people can't get equipment up to close them.

Anyway, one of my favorites is right in the backyard of a skii resort. I think many can attest to the fact that most of us can spot mine tailings from miles away even if undergrowth has covered them completely. I think the resort tried to close the mine, but that erosion opened it back up. My cousin and I took some pick axes and shovels to open up another adjacent mine that was completely closed up there, but no luck so far. The tailings pile is so huge, that I have always wanted to get inside.

Anyway, Milcreek has some cool stuff as well. Most of these mines in the Cottonwoods are over 100 years old.

Anyway, if you're down for a hike, let me know because I would love to show you what I have found, and would also like to see if these other mines you have mentioned are still open
    Troy E.

Comment

• Bradyb
      Mojave Baby
      • Apr 2009

Troy, you should check out Joy while you can. I assume that the new BLM RFQ for mine clean up 40 miles West of Delta is for the Joy town and mines. It’s a rather large site, I would recommend a horse or ATV to see it all. The mines are South East of the actual old Joy Town site at the intersection by the spring. Get back in those Hills and you’ll see the open pits in a small canyon to the left (big black spots via google) and the longer canyon to the right. Up that canyon to the right you’ll follow a road to a mine way up towards the top. You’ll see the tailings and dump structure. Go there and check out that tunnel, don’t wake the sleeping bats. When you’re done just go back out and start climbing up the hill, there’s a couple more shafts as you climb towards the peak. When you get to the highest portal there’s a road that goes back round the South side of the mountain to more sites. Like I said it’s big and nobody has touched it from the BLM.

I would like to check out your mines in the Cottonwood Canyons, especially the mines high up where no one goes. Mineral basin, Alta, Brighton are fairly well-known but I would like to know what else is up there.

As for Millcreek. There is a gated road to the right past the boy scout camps. There are a number of new/old cabins on that road some of them original mining cabins. As you follow that road it goes to the south east and opens up into a nice valley. About 20 years ago as a kid I went for a hike back there with my dad and we come up on a modern mine site that looked like it had a good operation running, at the time it looked moth balled. I remember looking in the windows and seeing the lights on with a long line of or carts lined up to the portal. Is that site still there and operational? I’ve been thinking of going back to see what’s still there. I remember a pile of or carts and axles that were partially buried. Looking down through the trees via google all I see are cabins and no mine. It looks like the road ends in this bowl: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...03433&t=h&z=18 I wonder if that’s the mine you know more about?

I’ll shoot you a PM, let me know what you know. I love the desert mines but it would be good to explorer some sites closer to home.

Comment

• Derek
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2008

Bradyb,

Joy is definitely on our list of places to go. As with most people though time and money often holds us back from certain things we want to do in such a short amount of time. Recently we have been focusing our efforts on the San Raffael Swell mines and the North Tintic area since they are the latest on the chopping block for DOGM. We will eventually make it out there though along with the Drum Mountains and Dugway Mountains.

If you know of a spot that has been passed over by the reclamation crew I definitely would not post it on any public forum in my opinion. I am always willing to share this and other type of info through PM or emails though.

Thanks for the info that you and Troy have posted and keep it up whenever you find something new.
        -Derek
        Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• ExpUt
          True Mojave
          • Jul 2008

Very interesting to hear about the Sandy mines. I too grew up in the area but apparently too late, but the time we got around to exploring the mines in that area they were all closed. We hiked to the Fergeson Canyon mines 3 years ago now, all were closed, most of which look like they were naturally closed and had been that way for some time?

I do have a substantial amount of info on the mines & claims in that area, names (Gold Willow Adits, New State Vein, Clementine Mine, Pacific, Sucess, Venus Snowshow, Glenwood 1 - 6, etc.) including workings maps of the New State lower tunnel, the Glenwood Mine, the Tungsten Tunnel. Additionally I've got some good info on other mines in the Wasatch Front from PC to American Fork Canyon.

A good freind of mine (and fellow mine explorer) knows the owner of the claim high on the mountain (with the road you mentioned), he still lives in the area. At least one of the mines in the area was worked as late as 1976 (The Gold Willow property).

He spoke of being able to enter just off of Wasatch and get deep enough in the mountain to look up a shaft to the vertical adit that adjoins the old 4WD road. He is ~35 now so I would assume he was exploring the area the same time frame as you?

Troy et al,

I would love to sit down over dinner and some maps one of these nights and discuss some of the Wasatch Front mine exploring opportunities. I've spent a decent amount of time in mines in BC/LC and American Fork Canyon and have a list of other opportunities that I'm hoping to get to in the coming season. Let me know if that is something you guys would be interested in. I'll bring some neat maps to peruse.
          Kurt Williams
          CruiserOutfitters.com
          ExpeditionUtah.com
          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Troy
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Mar 2009

Roger that. I'll PM you.
            Troy E.

Comment

• ExpUt
              True Mojave
              • Jul 2008

Got your PM, thanks! I'm pretty swamped for the next couple of weeks but lets figure out a time that works for all of us and sit down over some maps and talk mines.
              Kurt Williams
              CruiserOutfitters.com
              ExpeditionUtah.com
              MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...