X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mr_ketchum
    Mojave Teen
    • Nov 2017

4th grade and a Tacoma

In fourth grade, we learned about the 49ers and how they flocked to California to find gold. I went to a private school where I grew up with the same kids since preschool. I was usually bored by history but my fourth grade teacher really cared about it and made it interesting. I don't remember her name but I can still see her face. We learned about the California Gold Rush. I didn't care about the gold. I didn't care about the fortunes made and lost. I saw a black and white photo of miners standing next to a long sluice run. I wanted to know how that worked. I'm not sure if I asked, but the yearn to know stayed with me for many years. This was 1996-1997.

It was something like this photo

Sometime around 2008, I found a documentary series on Youtube about placer mining. I watched the 4 episodes and noticed the sluice runs and processing of the period. I still enjoyed it but didn't care much for the gold they found, but rather about the way people mined for gold.

Gold Rush started in 2010 and I watched every episode because I liked watching the machines move dirt and the wash plants process the material. I didn't really care about the gold they found.

In 2015, we decided to buy a truck. I wanted the new Tacoma that would come out in 2016. During the search for the truck we wanted, I found the camping board on the Tacoma World forum. I saw a photo report of a trip to some desert region. There was one photo of a 'mine' somewhere in the desert. I immediately wanted to know what an underground mine looked like and how it worked. I started researching locations, safety, and terminology of underground mines while waiting for our truck to be built. I was hooked before we even had a truck to go find mines in.

We bought our Tacoma in December 2015.

Bought my wife a quad. Went to Calico twice but couldn't find much to explore because most of the popular spots were blown up or sealed. I had no idea how coords worked then. Did a lot of 4x4 exploring rather than mine exploring during the first year.

We made the stupid decision to explore the El Pasos in July.... it was a bit hot, but the exploring got me into Bickel Camp and I got to see all the machinery and equipment for small mining operations. That was fun. Also walked through Burro Schmidt Tunnel with crappy flash lights and no helmets. I'm 6' and smacked my head near the end... this trip left me wanting more.

- - - Updated - -

- - - Updated - -
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mr_ketchum; 12-01-2017, 02:19 PM.
  • MTNMAD
    Mojave Baby
    • Dec 2017

Looks like a great trip! I caught the exploring bug from a magazine on ghost towns. It was published out of Kalispell Montana. I bought an issue and got hooked. Ended up ordering all her back issues and then I damn near bought the whole magazine. I look back now and kind of wish I had. Oh well, there is a lot out there to explore but it seems to be disappearing a lot faster than before. Love the fotos you took too. Back in the 80's it was all film and taking them was done with a caution to get the most bang for your buck. Now that it is digital, it is sooooo much better. Its nice to be able to go out and shoot 200 shots and keep the best and toss the rest.

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

Mr Ketchum,

Got the bug, eh? It's a tough one to kick. I've been trying for years but it only gets worse.

I'm just up in Vegas so if you and your wife end up coming up this way, we should get together for a bit of exploring. I know a couple of mines that are good "starter" mines where you can get some underground experience with a "guide".

Joanne
      Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• mr_ketchum
        Mojave Teen
        • Nov 2017

I was going to write more but I can't upload more than 5 images in each post.

It's been 2 years since we got the truck and I've been gaining experience underground during that time.

The Shoshone group is my favorite due to its size and complexity. We've attended Underground 2016 and Underground 2017. We brought our 5 year old nephew this year and got him to the hoist room in War Eagle East and across the main level of Noonday.

One of my favorite local mines is the C****** in Dale Mining district. My wife's family lives nearby and we have done many short explores of that mine.

Nephew entering portal

Overhand stope at end of cross cut. Manway and ore pass/chute at other end

Attached Files
        Last edited by mr_ketchum; 12-02-2017, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• Joanne
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2009

Ahh, makes sense. I've missed the last two Undergrounds or we probably would have met in person. Nice photos! My offer still stands if you get up our way. There are some pretty interesting mines to explore. If you are comfortable on rope, there's even more.

Joanne

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• mr_ketchum
            Mojave Teen
            • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Joanne
            Ahh, makes sense. I've missed the last two Undergrounds or we probably would have met in person. Nice photos! My offer still stands if you get up our way. There are some pretty interesting mines to explore. If you are comfortable on rope, there's even more.

Joanne
            Thank you. I'm not sure when we will get up there. We live in socal!

Also, does your website not work anymore? I get a 404

Comment

• Joanne
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jul 2009

I moved it to it's own site: www.mine-explorer.com

Unfortunately I can't correct it in my signature because of site restrictions.

Joanne

Comment

• mr_ketchum
                Mojave Teen
                • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Joanne
                I moved it to it's own site: www.mine-explorer.com

Unfortunately I can't correct it in my signature because of site restrictions.

Joanne
                awesome thanks

Comment

Working...