X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • speelyei
    Mojave Baby
    • Feb 2015

Howdy from Mohave County

New member from Mohave County AZ. Originally from Oregon, we moved to AZ a couple years ago.

I found this site while researching some of the mines I run across while hunting, horseback riding, exploring, or looking for rocks to climb. The hills and mountains here are riddled with mines. I have often walked miles to get to mines, but never really considered going in more than a few dozen feet. Usually just admiring the head rigs, buildings, and debris is interesting enough. I've walked in a few dead end adits, and peered down a few grated shafts, always with a mix of interest and dread.

Look forward to reading through the posts and seeing what all there is to learn.
  • Dawn_CL
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Nov 2009

Wouldnt happen to be around the Kingman area, would you?
    Dawn

Comment

• speelyei
      Mojave Baby
      • Feb 2015

Yep, in Kingman.

Comment

• Dawn_CL
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by speelyei
        Yep, in Kingman.

Im in Kingman too. I have a few mines around the Kingman area. Most are patents though. Out around the Stockton Hill area.
        Dawn

Comment

• speelyei
          Mojave Baby
          • Feb 2015

I live out Stockton, not too far from the little store. I spend lots of time looking at old mines. I'm interested in taking pictures and looking for historic artifacts, not precious metals.

Comment

• Dawn_CL
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Nov 2009

Hi, not to be mean or anything but please be careful out around the Stockton Hill area mines. I have patents out there as well as other people and theres folks out there that will call Police in a heartbeat if they see people in or around those mines. As for me, im very leary on people in and around my mines out there because theres been track and cars stolen from my mines and others have had track and other things cut and stolen from mines out there so be real careful where you go out there. Most of the patents(including my patented property) is very heavily posted and the BLM and SO HAS made arrests on people caught on those properties. Collecting artifacts on patented property OR even on claims is a federal offense. This would include sections of track or any type of mining tools or artifacts. A heads up... any mines out behind the ranch house thats out behind the firehouse on Stockton Hill are all patented properties and are all closed off to the public either by fencing or by signage and they dont permit anyone wandering out there. So be very careful where you go.
            Last edited by Dawn_CL; 03-22-2015, 04:44 AM.
            Dawn

Comment

• speelyei
              Mojave Baby
              • Feb 2015

Hi Dawn, and thanks for the friendly reminder!

Let me assure you, I am more than passingly familiar with Arizona's laws regarding trespass. As an active miner, I am sure you are familiar with 13-1504.A4 (the most likely applicable statute. There are others of course, but they are problematic regarding proof and likelihood of successful prosecution) and exactly what constitutes 1st degree trespass with regard to valid mineral claims and leases.
              I am also quite familiar with both Federal laws you alluded to: the American Antiquities Act of 1906 and the Archeological Resources Protection Act of 1979. As I thought I made clear in a prior post, I take only pictures, leave only footprints, and ensure that others do the same.

Looking through your prior posts in other threads I have noticed that this is not the first friendly reminder you've given. That's good. A lot of folks are not aware of the laws, many are not even aware of the difference between surface rights and mineral rights.

That being said, this site, mojaveunderground.com, exists with the intention of furthering ABANDONED mine exploration. To quote: "Mojave Underground is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the exploration, documentation, and preservation of abandoned mines and lands across the American West".

I appreciate your concern that I may inadvertently mistake a working operation for something abandoned, but let me assure you I will not.

If you'd like to share information on old mines in our area, I'd love to hear it. If you would like to meet up and check out some old mines, that would be great, too. If you would be interested in giving a tour of a working operation, I'd jump at the chance. And if not, fair enough. Good talking with you.
              Last edited by speelyei; 03-22-2015, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...