X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dirtriderjon01
    Mojave Baby
    • May 2014

hello from bakersfield brand new cave explorer here

Hello my name is Jonathan Davis. I'm a brand new father and happily married and I'm a local apprentice electrician. Geology and geologic marvels have always excited me. I'm looking to start exploring some of the caves systems and mines all around Kern county ca. Even maybe have a partner with the same interests that could help me out. I obviously want to fins places that I can explore without trespassing. or places where the property owner has authorized cave exploring. And I look forward to making friends on this forum and everyone have a great day. look forward to everything
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by dirtriderjon01
    Hello my name is Jonathan Davis. I'm a brand new father and happily married and I'm a local apprentice electrician. Geology and geologic marvels have always excited me. I'm looking to start exploring some of the caves systems and mines all around Kern county ca. Even maybe have a partner with the same interests that could help me out. I obviously want to fins places that I can explore without trespassing. or places where the property owner has authorized cave exploring. And I look forward to making friends on this forum and everyone have a great day. look forward to everything
    Welcome to the forum! It's a bit quiet around here right now but there are some great folks who drop in. Alhthough I'm not a caver, I do explore mines pretty regularly.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• dirtriderjon01
      Mojave Baby
      • May 2014

That's pretty cool. I've always wanted to try to explore a mine because I think that they are one of the most
      Interesting things around. How often do you do an exploration. And was curious if you were familiar with the area I'm at. And For any tips on finding a novice friendly mine to be explored. Also of course the private property situation I don't want to intrude on anyone's private property and or attract the attention of the authorities in a negative manner. But with the younger generations I so unfortunately represent even getting on a talking basis with some land owners I feel would be a stretch with my younger appearance. There's many things I'm curious about but I really want to start exploring mines. But I want to do it the right way before I just go jumping into a hole in the ground.

Comment

• Joanne
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by dirtriderjon01
        That's pretty cool. I've always wanted to try to explore a mine because I think that they are one of the most
        Interesting things around. How often do you do an exploration. And was curious if you were familiar with the area I'm at. And For any tips on finding a novice friendly mine to be explored. Also of course the private property situation I don't want to intrude on anyone's private property and or attract the attention of the authorities in a negative manner. But with the younger generations I so unfortunately represent even getting on a talking basis with some land owners I feel would be a stretch with my younger appearance. There's many things I'm curious about but I really want to start exploring mines. But I want to do it the right way before I just go jumping into a hole in the ground.
        Actually I'm not familiar with your area. There is a mine database available here on the site. You import the file into Google Earth and it creates pushpins for each of the mines in the database...and there are a LOT!! If you can't locate the database, PM me and I will send it to you.

I started out by using a DeLorme Gazetteer to find areas with mines then headed out with whoever I could drag along. Early on I didn't venture very deep into a mine and spent time taking pictures. As my experienced grew, so did my adventures. I posted a lot of pictures on this site. In time I made connections with other explorers and went on more advanced trips.

From a gear standpoint it's quite simple. You need a couple of good lights. I usually take three with extra batteries. And a helmet of some sort. Trust me, you need a helmet. I strongly suggest that one of your lights is a headlamp attached to your helmet. You don't have to spend a lot on lights, but you do need to purchase decent ones. When you are underground, your lights become life support equipment. No different than a scuba regulator for a diver or a parachute for a sky diver. In time you will venture far enough into a mine that you simply would not be able to get out if all of your lights failed.

You mentioned caving in your earlier post so these tutorials might interest you. It is geared towards vertical caving but the techniques translate quite well to mine exploring. This series of 10 tutorials will take you through some great information. (An interesting read regardless of your experience level!)

It goes without saying that you want to practice techniques on the surface before you head underground.

Lastly, there is going to be a mine exploring "expo" in Tecopa over Veteran's day weekend. It is geared to all levels of explorers and is a great place for first time explorers. It's big and has so many great features to explore. Search facebook for "Underground 2014" and you should find the details. In spite of some lousy weather, the spring event was great fun. Mojave Underground, Underground Explorers, and a bunch of us independent explorers were there.

Joanne
        Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

Working...