• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SD40T-2
    Mojave Baby
    • Sep 2013

A hello from a local in good ole' SLC

Greetings all!

Name is Daland and I live in West Valley. Have lived in the Salt Lake area all my life.

My main hobby relates to railroading; both contemporary and historical. As railroads have been synonymous with mining, especially in Utah, I've naturally had a interest in mining as well. Away from railroading and mining interests I also like to participate in riding motorcycles, snowboarding, road cycling, SCUBA diving, video editing and production and participate in amateur radio.

Ironically, having lived in the Salt Lake area all my life, I've spent very little time in any of the mines in Utah and to date have only stepped foot in two of them; The Hidden Treasure Mine in Jacob City and the Ontario Mine in Park City. My time in the Hidden Treasure Mine was in 1985 and very brief due to the fact that I got spooked (was 8 at the time) and I don't think I made it beyond 50 yards. The whole place gave me the creeps and I thought I going to fall down the mine shafts. I still have (somewhere) a drill core sample that came from the Hidden Treasure Mine when I was there in '85. My dad has all the pictures from that time and I'll have to ask him if I can get copies and I'll post them up.

My few times into the Ontario was when the Park City Silver Mine Adventure was in operation and I believe that I went into the mine about 7 or 8 times. It was an enlightening experience and one that although seemed somewhat “sanitized”, was likely the only way that most people were going to experience a real hard rock mine. I was sad to see it go when it closed down.

My dad tells me that his great uncle was a miner in Eureka that immigrated from Sweden in the early 1900's so I have some distant family who worked in the mines at one point.

As I mentioned, Railroading is a major hobby / interest of mine and I see parallels between the organizations I'm involved with and Mojave Underground: Preservation. I work with a group of people at Ogden's Union Station who are tasked with preserving and documenting the history of various pieces of railroading equipment.

Likewise, it pains me to see the destruction of mine structures and entrances that represent a significant part of Utah history and I very much support what Mojave Underground does in keeping that history alive. I'm troubled by the “remove all risk” attitude that seems to destroy the heritage of who we are and what makes Utah so diverse.

I'm always willing to learn and help out where I can.

I hope to get to know a few of ya ( and maybe a whole lot),

Cheers,

Daland Speirs
    WVC, UT
    Last edited by SD40T-2; 09-18-2013, 11:25 PM.
  • Kiel
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

Welcome to MU
    Underground Baby!

Comment

• josh bernhard
      Mojave Teen
      • Jan 2011

Hello Daland, glad to see you've found MU!
      Josh Bernhard

Certified AATN* and professional rivet counter
      *All-Around Train Nut

Comment

• SD40T-2
        Mojave Baby
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by josh bernhard
        Hello Daland, glad to see you've found MU!
        Hello Josh. Long time no See......

Comment

• ExpUt
          True Mojave
          • Jul 2008

Welcome to the forum Daland, sounds like your interests are parallel to many here. Look forward to meeting you in person.
          Kurt Williams
          CruiserOutfitters.com
          ExpeditionUtah.com
          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...