Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1MK

New Here

Hello everyone,

Can't believe I didn't find this forum sooner, after browsing around a few minutes, knew I had to bookmark, become a member, and dig into some good reading.

Names Kyle, live in Temecula, Ca, and grew up in and exploring the desert. Earliest memories being going into mines up in Big Bear with an Uncle, and ever since have been fascinated by the history, eeriness, and workings of mines. Ended up meeting a good friend, Scott, and throughout the years have seen some REALLY good stuff all over the Mojave desert.

My idea of mine exploration usually ends on the main adit though, never have been brave enough to repel, or step foot on a ladder, though I would like to change that sometime soon and with the right knowledge and equipment.

Couple old pictures, have MANY more at home, but this is what I had on my PB account.

I'll have to dig up more pictures and maybe ask some questions, as I don't know the history and names to a lot of the places I've seen.

While I got your attention, last weekend spent New Years at a family friends property in Oro Grande, Ca. Just northwest of Victorville. While there, found a really awesome looking mine, as far as I know, called the "Branch Mine". Anyone have any information on it? All searches have come up empty.

Will have better pictures hopefully today, if it helps.

This picture was only about 20 feet in, most the people I was with didn't dare to go any further. Hince the "I'll stay right here and enjoy my beer" guy. lol
  • ryan162
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

welcome! Good to see more cali people on here. We have all the good mines anyhow :P

Comment

• Derek
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2008

Welcome to the forums!
      -Derek
      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Joanne
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2009

Welcome to the forum from up in Vegas!

It sounds like you would enjoy getting a little "deeper" into mine exploring (if you will excuse the pun). Those are some nice photos that you posted up.

My mine exploring buddy Bill (go_browns79 on this forum) just moved down to the LA area. You two might be able to hook up since I think he is looking for an exploring buddy down that way. He is experienced and safe, though not timid about heading underground. He does vertical exploring as well so he may be able to get you up to speed on those techniques and the required equipment if you are so interested.

Bill and I are trying to plan a trip to the Barstow area later this month or next month. It might be a good opportunity for you to get your feet wet in underground exploring. Of course if you get up to Vegas, just let me know and we can try to get together for a quick explore. Lots to see up here.

If you think you would like to start exploring, I would suggest that you get a couple of pieces of gear: helmet, good headlamp, good flashlight, gloves, and a backpack.

Anyway, that's my 2 centavos worth....

Joanne
        Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Joanne
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by ryan162
          welcome! Good to see more cali people on here. We have all the good mines anyhow
          Are you down in Cali? How come we haven't set up an MU Southern Chapter trip?

Joanne
          Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• josh bernhard
            Mojave Teen
            • Jan 2011

A warm Welcome from the Ogden Utah area. Those are some interesting pictures. Seems the Mojave desert is much kinder to structural survival than round where I live.
            Josh Bernhard

Certified AATN* and professional rivet counter
            *All-Around Train Nut

Comment

• Jeff
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Nov 2008

Welcome to MU
              Jeff
              Mojave Mine Team
              Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
                True Mojave
                • Jul 2008

Welcome to MU!
                Kurt Williams
                CruiserOutfitters.com
                ExpeditionUtah.com
                MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Stuart
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

Very cool!! Welcome to the site!!!
                  -Stuart Burgess
                  Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                  Burgess Exploration LLC
                  http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                  Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Graham
                    Mojave Baby
                    • Jun 2013

Hey there,

I have info on that mine!

It is called the Branch Mine, here are the exact coordinates if anyone's interested:

34.6527685 -117.2731011

Also here's a video of it from Frank, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8zIG-71sh0

Comment

Working...