X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris142
    Mojave Baby
    • Dec 2011

Chris142

Ok I'm in. I live in Apple Valley, Ca and have always been interested with what I may find in the desert. In jr high and highschool when my friends were going to the mall I was out exploring the desert.

Pics for your viewing enjoyment.

• Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Chris! Welcome from up in Las Vegas!

You sound like you will fit right in. Most of us are outdoor folks who would rather be bouncing around the desert rather than trying to find a parking spot at the mall. That is some nice gold that you found.

I have always been interested in mines but it was only a couple of years ago that I actually decided to go inside of one. I grew up being taught to stay out of mines so I always stayed out. Now I regularly head out into the desert to explore old mines. I really enjoy it. Luckily I live in an area where there are hundreds of mines within a couple of hours drive.

Last summer a friend and I were up at a remote mine when a couple of older guys pulled up in their truck. We got talking to them and found out that they were metal detectors and rock hounds out for the day. They had never been more than a few feet into a mine so we set them up with headlamps and walked them through the mine. They said they would probably never venture into a mine on their own, but really enjoyed the opportunity we gave them to see the inside of a big mine.

I've not tried detecting yet, but it has always held an interest for me. If my arthritis gets bad enough that I can't do the level of mine exploring I want, I will seriously consider getting a detector. Any day out in the desert is better than a day inside my house.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• lobster68w
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Dec 2008

Welcome! Nice gold!

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

Working...