X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcdonaldjosh7
    Mojave Baby
    • Nov 2011

Hey There

Alright so I am not sure how extensive this site it, but mines have fascinated me for years, and I am wanting to go explore some within the next two years. Personally, I would LOVE the idea of exploring some that haven't quite been found yet, or only lightly explored by people before me. The idea of me being the first on there in a hundred years is amazing...

So I don't know, depending on how many people are here and what not I would love to get information here on where to find mines, and how to safely explore them.

Thanks
    -Josiah
  • Kiel
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

To be honest that will be very hard without vertical gear. Even I think I have only been in one that meets the description with vertical gear. But that shouldn't stop you from trying there is a lot to see
    Underground Baby!

Comment

• josh bernhard
      Mojave Teen
      • Jan 2011

unexplored mines are hard to come by these days. It doesn't matter how isolated they are; some locals will have been in there.

However, probably the best place to find out about mine locations (besides here, of course) is the local historical society and/or museum. I finally found information and maps that pinpointed the locations of all (known) mines in the Mt. Ben Lomond (North Ogden) area at the very small, very local North Ogden Historical Museum. Sometime next summer I'll go and see how many are still open; from all reports most should be.
      Josh Bernhard

Certified AATN* and professional rivet counter
      *All-Around Train Nut

Comment

• Joanne
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2009

Welcome to the forum!

I share your enthusiasm about seeing "lightly explored" territory. As others have said it is hard to come by unless you have some good skills or specialty equipment (like a mobile mine winch Click image for larger version

Name:	econ_smile.gif
Views:	1
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	11328) to get you into places that others have over looked or were unwilling to go.

The best advice I can give is to attend some of the Mojave Underground events if you are close enough. Assemble your gear over time, learn the methods and techniques required to safely explore, then start some serious exploring. As you develop a circle of friends, opportunities should open up for you.

These are the types of places you will need to go to find "less visited" locations.

In the photo below I'm using a climbing rig to climb the 40 feet back up to the bottom of the ladder then climb the ladder for another 200. We aren't the first to access this area and I'm certain we won't be the last.

Just my 2ยข worth.

Joanne
        Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Stuart
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Welcome to the site Josiah! Believe it or not there are still plenty of unexplored or lightly explored adits kicking around if you hike far enough or get deep enough into the backcountry. Vertical skills help a lot, but they aren't necessary if you are persistent and do your research. You will find Google Earth to be helpful in spotting mine piles off the beaten path.

Josh, I spent a good deal of time exploring mines up around North Ogden and the Willard Peak area this summer. If you have any questions or want suggestions on specific mines to explore send me a message.

Great pictures Joanne! You have really gotten good an vertical work! Keep it up, I love the pictures. One of these days we will meet up somewhere and do some exploring, Crystal and I are in Nevada somewhere almost every month if not more.
          -Stuart Burgess
          Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
          Burgess Exploration LLC
          http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
          Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

Working...