X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • btay801
    Mojave Teen
    • Jul 2009

Air / Gas detector

What is a good detector to buy? i've heard a 4 gas detector, but what is the brand and model number that you have had good luck with?
  • UnderUtah
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

I have an MSA Orion four gas detector that we use extensively that detects CO (carbon monoxide), H2S (Hydrogen Sulfide), 02 (Oxygen), and it detects the LEL (Lower Explosive Limit) which will detect if ANY explosive gasses are at their lower explosive limit. (these could be methane to gasoline fumes, etc)

We have had very good luck with it, it has an internal pums so it is constantly "breathing" the air for any detectable gasses. These units are expensive though, expect to pay anywhere from $1000.00 for a used unit to $2500.00 for a brand new one of this brand. Others may be less expensive without the bells and whistles, but because they are life saving devices manufacturers can charge a fortune for them no matter how simple they may be.
    Miah
    Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• btay801
      Mojave Teen
      • Jul 2009

Thanks for the info Miah. I am looking at one of these on ebay that claims i just needs an oxygen sensor. ($153) How much have you had to change out sensors on yours? He also says that because of the O2 sensor problem the rest of the unit will not calibrate. here is the listing. tell me what you think. I don't want to waste my money.

You are bidding on an MSA Orion 4-gas detector (part number 10048299) that comes with calibration gas and waterproof sampling probe. The detector comes with power supply, battery, operating manual and protective rubber boot/carryer for the detector. Upon calibration, the detector is calling for an O2 sensor replacement. Everything else appears to be in good operating condition, but the O2 alarm is preventing any further verification of the equipment. The calibration gas (part number 804770) comes in the black plastic protective case, as shown in the photo. Gas comes with two flow controls and a waterproof sampling probe.

Thanks again for planning the ophir hill camping trip. It was really cool. And especially for plowing the snow off the parking area and path to the mine. I gotta see the M.U. & O.H.R.R. car you built. Is it for pulling out carts or just for filming purposes?

Comment

• UnderUtah
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jun 2008

I looked at the one you mentioned, I would ask the seller what gasses it detects in addition to 02. If he purchased it at some equipment auction and it really only needs a $153.00 sensor and you can get the unit for $100 - $150 then you probably have a bargain. Looking at the pics it looks pretty clean, and especially the little white filter on the back where the pump pulls-in air - it appears to be white and clean - a good sign.

I paid about $800.00 for mine, and I have not had a sensor failure at all. The only thing I think I have had to do is replace the little filter a few times.

The M.U. & O.H.R.R. motorized cart is in the shop for some rework, but she will be back on the tracks soon. I originally wanted something to take the place of driving an ATV into the mine to ferry stuff to and fro and just for the coolness factor.
        Miah
        Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• btay801
          Mojave Teen
          • Jul 2009

The M.U & O.H.R.R. definitely looks cool. When were those pics of it taken? It looks like you put a lot of work into it. But what should I expect, you are "KRAFTY" What is the power train for it? And it looks like the same flavor you painted the winch isn't it?

Comment

• UnderUtah
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jun 2008

It is driven by an electric forklift motor. The yellow is safety yellow, somehow the winch was painted sunburst yellow, slightly different She is in the shop for some tweaking but she will be back out on the rails soon!
            Miah
            Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• btay801
              Mojave Teen
              • Jul 2009

Well i let the Orion 4 gas detector slip through my fingers. Lost it by 2 bucks. What about the Altair models? And is there a reliable detector that doesn't require the calibration gas? Maybe one that takes a baseline reading outside the mine?

Comment

• UnderUtah
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jun 2008

Ah, too bad... I am poorly educated on any other models, there's probably a webiste out there that does comparisons. Calibration gas, as far as I understand, is to ensure that the unit continues to register the correct readings over the course of it's lifetime - I don't know exactly how other units are calibrated, probably specific to the manufacturer.
                Miah
                Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• heronfisher
                  Mojave Baby
                  • Mar 2010

Re: Air / Gas detector

Originally posted by btay801
                  What is a good detector to buy? i've heard a 4 gas detector, but what is the brand and model number that you have had good luck with?
                  Things to consider when selecting a natural gas detector

Natural gas detector units vary greatly in price, features, and ease of installation. Some of them must be professionally installed and may be connected to your home security system. Other brands resemble smoke detectors and are easy for you to install. Regardless of which detector you choose, certain facts are important:
                  #

Alarm activation

It is important that the natural gas detector will not be set off by other elements in your home, such as cigarette smoke or humidity level. Many detectors will respond to other dangerous chemicals in addition to natural gas, such as propane (LP).
                  #
                  Lower Explosive Limit

The Lower Explosive Limit (LEL) is the lowest amount of gas that will cause an explosion. Gas detectors vary in the level of gas that will set off an alarm (for example, 15% of the LEL, 20% of the LEL, etc.). Detectors that sense lower levels of gas will warn you more quickly of the presence of natural gas than detectors that sense higher levels.
                  #
                  Location of detector

The distance between your gas detector and the potential sources of a gas leak is important. Gas detectors are similar to smoke detectors, in that they need to be installed in a location where their audible warning is likely to be heard and where the material of concern--natural gas--is likely to accumulate, such as a basement. The installation instructions for your gas detector will assist you in identifying appropriate locations in which to install your detector. If you have multiple sources of natural gas in your home, you might need two gas detectors or one detector with dual sensors. This is especially true if the gas sources are spaced far apart.
                  #
                  Type of alarm

Some gas detectors use both a light and a sound to alert you to a gas leak. Some use only a sound. Regardless of which type of alarm you prefer, you should make sure that you will be alerted from any area of your home. An alarm that you can't see or hear will not help you.
                  #
                  Gas detector maintenance

Most gas detectors are either battery-operated, or have a battery back-up system for a 110-volt electrical power supply. Often, there is a "test" button on the gas detector that will allow you to make sure that the detector's alarm and batteries are working properly. Remember to check the batteries and the alarm regularly. Some gas detectors will warn you if there is a power loss or other malfunction. Read the manufacturer's instructions carefully so that you know how and when to test your detector to make sure it is working properly.

Gas detectors use sensors to find out if there are dangerous levels of natural gas nearby. Like batteries, sensors can wear out. When purchasing a gas detector, ask about the average life of the sensor. Also ask if there is a warning to indicate when the sensor needs replacing. You also may want to know whether the sensor can be replaced if it wears out.

Some types of gas detectors must be calibrated in order to continue functioning properly. Calibration is the method by which an instrument is fine-tuned to provide accurate measurements. Ask if the gas detector model that you are buying will require this service. If the answer is "yes," find out how often you need to have it checked, and ask for the name of the firm that can perform the calibration.
                  r4 gold

Comment

• cavemonkey
                    Mojave Baby
                    • Jul 2010

Just bought a simple o2 detector for 180 bucks. It is made by MSA so it is of good quality. Not completely ideal but enough for what we do here in CO in hard rock mines. Im gonna try it out this weekend, ill write something up on it as soon as i get back. The model is MSA altair single gas detector....

Comment

• Therrin
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Miner
                      • Jan 2011

I've been using a BW Systems GasAlert Max XT II on the greater majority of my mining trips. It's actually not mine, its owner works in the oilfield industry, and since he's a good friend he lets me use it whenever I'm going out. He's the boss, so he can do that =D
                      Found here: http://gasmonitors.com/main.cfm?sub2...prodpage&pid=5

I've used it for probably close to 1000 hours. Never had an issue with it. His company takes care of the regular scheduled calibrations on it.
                      I've hit low O2 levels with it, and once in either Mike S's old suburban or in a mine, someone broke wind pretty bad and the thing started alerting when it picked up on it. It's lightweight, has the sampling pump, or you can run it in passive mode if you choose, and it will extend the battery life. I think the retail on it is somewhere around $600.

BW Systems also makes single gas detectors which have an internal "chemical battery" which run constantly, nonstop for something like 1, 2, or 3 years. They're "always on" and I think are either disposable when the charge runs out, or possibly they can be recharged. I'm not certain about that. They're pretty cheap though, about $120 for single gas for 2 years run life.

To quote from the data sheet:
                      Standard features of BW products:
                      • Continuous LCD shows real-time gas concentrations
                      • Compact and lightweight design makes it comfortable to wear
                      • Water-resistant
                      • Simple automatic calibration procedure; compatible with
                      BW MicroDock II automatic test and calibration station
                      • Full function self-test of sensor, battery status, circuit integrity
                      and audible/visual alarms on start up
                      • Bright wide-angled visual alarm bars

GasAlertMax XT II Specifications
                      Size 5.1 x 2.8 x 2.0 in. / 13.1 x 7.0 x 5.2 cm
                      Weight 11.5 oz. / 328 g
                      Temperature -4 to 122ºF / -20 to 50ºC
                      Humidity 10 - 100% RH (non-condensing)
                      Alarms - Visual, vibrating, audible (95dB)
                      - Low, High, STEL, TWA, OL (over limit), Low Battery, Pump
                      Tests Audible/visual alarms on activation, sensors, battery, pump
                      and circuitry (continuous)
                      Typical battery
                      life
                      13 hours @ 32ºF / 0ºC
                      8 hours @ -4ºF / -20ºC
                      Recharges in 6 hours
                      Pump draw Sample from up to 75 ft. / 23 m

Sensor Specifications
                      Gas Measuring Range Resolution
                      H2S 0-200 ppm 1 ppm
                      CO 0-1000 ppm 1 ppm
                      O2 0-30.0% 0.1%
                      Combustible
                      gases
                      0-100% LEL
                      0-5.0% v/v
                      1%
                      0.1%
                      Alarm setpoints for all sensors are user adjustable. Setpoint(s) are automatically
                      displayed during instrument start-up.
                      Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
                      TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• Therrin
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Jan 2011

Ok I lied, that unit costs way more than $600. my bad.
                        Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
                        TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• $ alex $
                          Mojave Teen
                          • May 2010

Originally posted by btay801
                          Well i let the Orion 4 gas detector slip through my fingers. Lost it by 2 bucks. What about the Altair models? And is there a reliable detector that doesn't require the calibration gas? Maybe one that takes a baseline reading outside the mine?
                          At work we use meters that are indeed calibrated before going underground. Ill try to check to see what models we use if yall are interested...
                          Alex
                          *I always invite info on explorable mines in or around the Cottonwood Canyons area!

Comment

• Stuart
                            Administrator
                            True Mojave
                            • Sep 2007

I use the BW Technologies Microclip XT Multi-Gas detector. Its been extremely durable having been clipped to my harness and smashed into hundreds of walls over the last couple years. I picked it up brand new from a dealer for around $400. Calibration is fairly easy and depending on how much you use the unit doesn't need to be done very often. We are looking at picking up a few more for business use.
                            -Stuart Burgess
                            Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                            Burgess Exploration LLC
                            http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                            Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Kingfounds
                              Mojave Baby
                              • Dec 2012

There are many types of detectors in the market, so it is really hard to make a decision which one to buy and whee to buy. I searched the internet for a long time and then I bought a gold metal detector, which is really helpful. And when I do metal detecting outside it can really distinguish what kind of the metal that it has detected and give an indication for me. And by using such kind of device I have saved a lot of time and energy. In a word, I love the gold metal detector and have confidence in it.

Comment

Working...