X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeffBett
    Mojave Child
    • Feb 2009

Underground Communication

I found this link while reading Engaget.com. Might be helpful someday when it becomes public and an actual product. It would be interesting to know a little more about it and how it is working.

Sixteen-year-old Alexander Kendrick's prize-winning invention combines "teen-tech" with underground communication. His text messaging device could help rescue stranded cavers and preserve sensitive cave environments.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

Interesting. We are always looking for options like this.
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• rhartill
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jun 2008

Jeff:
      Great info on an amazing science project. The kid is ALREADY getting flamed on the NPR site for inventing something that will "intrude" on the solitude of caving.... BS! His project has pushed the knowledge base a little further and kudos to him!

Here's a similar thread with more techy-krafty overtones:

Gulthek writes "Sixteen-year-old Alexander Kendrick has created a device that allows texting and other data transfer from almost 1000 feet underground. The tech could allow rapid emergency communication with the surface and opens the potential for scientific measurements without the need to continua...

Comment

• RockRacer
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Dec 2008

Awesome, just awesome! And it involves ham radio! Now if they can only decrease the size of the antenna.

Think you will need to be licensed to text using amateur radio??
        Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• Stuart
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Text

Think you will need to be licensed to text using amateur radio??
          Yes as you are still using a licensed frequency to carry your message.

Crystal and I are studying to get our licenses and should be taking the test soon. Our radios are in the mail!
          -Stuart Burgess
          Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
          Burgess Exploration LLC
          http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
          Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• RockRacer
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Dec 2008

Re: Text

Yes as you are still using a licensed frequency to carry your message.
            Stu, you are so smart!

Crystal and I are studying to get our licenses and should be taking the test soon. Our radios are in the mail!
            I am way stoked to hear that! When are you going to take it? Maybe that can help motivate me to work on and take my general.
            Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• rhartill
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jun 2008

Is there still offerred a no code technician license? If so, I'd like to get up to speed on Amateur Radio, as I am a big fan of the ARRL annual yearbooks, but never got around to getting my license. I have built Heathkit SW radios in my youth and think "Frequency" is one awesome flick!

Comment

• RockRacer
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by rhartill
                Is there still offerred a no code technician license? If so, I'd like to get up to speed on Amateur Radio, as I am a big fan of the ARRL annual yearbooks, but never got around to getting my license. I have built Heathkit SW radios in my youth and think "Frequency" is one awesome flick!
                Yep, no code tech through extra class. Old Heathkits are cool. My gramps gave me his he built in the 50s.

Hey, speaking of Frequency, didn't you sign up on my site?
                Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• rhartill
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jun 2008

yes, that's me---interests include flying, motorcycles, and ham radio... small world! Altho my baddest cycle as only a Honda 90 Trail bike...

Comment

• Danb
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Cowboy
                    • Sep 2009

Cool Stuart. The more people in ham radio the better. There are places we explore that don’t have cell phone service. In a lot of those places you can pick up your hand held radio and get into a repeater and contact someone if you need help. I would suggest anyone wanting to get into ham radio take the time to study for at least General Class license now that the morse code requirement has been removed. This will give you privileges on all ham bands.

Here are a few useful links if you haven’t already found them.

Good luck on the tests.

Danb
                    WA7DB

Online courses, study materials, and practice tests for the ham radio license exams

We do it underground and under water.
                    Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

• Stuart
                      Administrator
                      True Mojave
                      • Sep 2007

I actually haven't seen those links yet, thanks Dan! I am checking them out now. Id like to get as many of Mojave licensed as I can, that would make our events more fun and also better organized.
                      -Stuart Burgess
                      Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                      Burgess Exploration LLC
                      http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                      Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• RockRacer
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Outlaw
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by rhartill
                        yes, that's me---interests include flying, motorcycles, and ham radio... small world! Altho my baddest cycle as only a Honda 90 Trail bike...
                        That's sweet! I had an old Honda too.

Cool to see you are a ham Dan! I agree with you and Stuart. Everything is better with good communication!
                        Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

Working...