• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedRockXJ
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2008

New Camcorder

I'm ready to take on some underground exploration in HD with my new JVC GZ-HD3 camera!

Josh
    - Utah's Finest Outdoor Enthusiasts!
  • KDT1970
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Sep 2009

Looks pretty sweet. Some HiDef videos shopuld look nice.

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

3CCD and 1080p sounds like a winning combo. Would love to see some underground footage of it and see how well it does in low light!
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• RedRockXJ
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Jun 2008

Well we're going Saturday, I'll post the video when we get back. I'm excited to see how it does. So far, it's tested pretty well in low light.
        Josh

Comment

• Mike
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

I think it's only downfall would be the HDD. They can be pretty sensitive while in operation, if your doing any bumping around underground it might crash a head. Looks like it uses SDHC also? Might be a better way to record while underground.
          -Fish
          Mojave Mine Team
          MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Joanne
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2009

Nice!! I'm thinking you need to build a steady-cam so you can get those great "hand held" shots that look like they were done on a dolly.

Looking forward to seeing the video. More vicarious mine exploration.

Joanne
            Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Mark1955
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Dec 2008

I've found that three ccd cameras do alot better underground than single chip cameras with the resultant video having much less noise (snow) in it and far superior color. I use a Beta SP 3-chip Sony broadcast camera to shoot underground and at +6 or +9db gain the image is still excellent and virtually noise free. At +6 I just use a 12 LED flashlight for lighting up where I'm heading and get excellent results. You may want to get an LED flashlight and white balance to that once underground. I also reccommend wrapping the camera in a plastic bag or similar and get either a clear or UV filter to go over the lens to protect the front element and the camera. If you take it undergroind frequently consoder an Ewa Marine underwater casing... they're made from heavy plastic with a decent optical window to put the lens behind. Cameras are too expensive to purchase let alone get repaired if you happen to bump the front element or get water dripped on it. Ay any rate I'm jelous!! My camera weighs 12 pounds!

Mark

Comment

• RedRockXJ
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Jun 2008

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOQL_pIM-sE[/youtube]

Here's a sample from our trip. I didn't have much light, but the camera still did very well. Next time, I will definitely bring more light for the camera. And I'll be sure to clean the lens too. I noticed it had a streak in the video. lol
                Josh

Comment

• Mark1955
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Dec 2008

Looked good up till the big room... Two suggestions... Shut off the auto focus if the camera allows you to and get a wide converter lens that will fit the front of your lens. The wide converter will greatly increase the depth of focus as well as provide you with more image coverage. I have a fairly wide coverage LED flashlight that I use, there is a inexpensive light panel available on e-bay but it's distance is limited. Flashlights work better for sure. You can set up the camera and flashlights in your own dark home at night to test them.

You guys apparently missed the two stopes as well as the two incline shaft going down.

Mark

Comment

Working...