X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joegibbs
    Mojave Child
    • Sep 2007

Photo/Computer Gear

Hey guys. I'm looking to participate with you guys. I was wondering, what kind of camera and gear should I purchase? Also, I want a computer that can process large files in photoshop. And I want to do some good gaming too. Any recommendations? Thanks
    Who hides in the shadows? Who lurks beneath? Who is a puppet, who grinds his teeth? Joe Gibbs
  • Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Joe-

Welcome to M.U.! Good to have another able explorer on our side!

As far as cameras are concerned I would suggest the Canon 5d. This baby packs a full frame sensor and a whopping 12.8Mp resoulution.
    But alas, if you are not made of money (the 5D starts at about $1,299.00) I would suggest its three little brothers the Canon 40-30-20D.
    The 20D is flooding the used market right now because of the 40D's recent debut, so prices are fairly low on e-bay.
    For other equipment pick up a good headlamp. I have a Rayovac 3-in-1 Sportsmans Headlamp and absolutely love it. It runs about 16 dollars and
    will last through years of heavy use.
    For a computer are you interested in a laptop or a desktop?
    Check out xotic pc for some very powerfull laptops. I recently purchased the Force 2090 and customized it for graphics power. It runs very well and will blow most
    desktops out of the water.
    Custom build your next gaming computer, laptop, or notebook from our extensive selection and finance options. Take your gaming to the next level with XOTIC PC.

For desktops you can build or own or get a barebones at www.tigerdirect.com

Happy Exploring

-Mojave
    -Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Hey Joe. Agreed with Stuart. I use the Canon EOS 20D and love it. You'll find it's images to be incredible. If you don't feel you could use the pro features of a DSLR, you can find a Rebel XT for about $100 cheaper than a full 20D on ebay. Gear you will find most useful will include a tripod, a good angle range (18-300mm at least), spare batteries, an external flash, a good 2+GB CF Card, and basic filters such as polarizer, ND, ND Grad, and a UV filter for each lense.

The computer is going to need at least 2GB ram, whether it be laptop or desktop. If you are going to run Vista 64-bit, get 4GB. These days, portable systems are almost as powerful as thier desktop counterparts. Here is a list I feel is the bare miniumum for what you say you are looking for.

Dual Core Processor 2GHz or faster
      2GB 667MHz RAM
      256MB Video
      7200RPM H.D.D. Drive. 80gb is a fine minumum if you plan on external drives.

Of course, the more you put into it, the better it will be. But the above will do Photoshop and games quite well. If you build your own desktop, you'll save hundreds to thousands over buying from a manufacturer.
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• April2021
        Mojave Child
        • Sep 2007

Fall leaves

Hi :P

Im looking for a good place to take pictures of the fall leaves. Where is a good place for that?

Comment

• Mike
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Re: Fall leaves

Originally posted by April2021
          Hi :P

Im looking for a good place to take pictures of the fall leaves. Where is a good place for that?
          I've created a post at

Please refer to that thread and we'd love to discuss options and technique
          -Fish
          Mojave Mine Team
          MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

Working...