X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Waders? What are you using?

Looking for a good wader recommendation, something lightweight, decent price and not too heavy and cumbersome. I've got some waist high fishing waders however I think they would be a major PITA to hike around in. If anything I'm more interested in something offering coverage up to my crotch.
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Nothing comes to mind. Haven't ever really looked around for waders. I do have a good pair of composite toe (steel toe without the cold and weight) muck boots that are almost knee high, but if you're looking for waist high, I'm not sure I know of anything.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
      True Mojave
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Mike
      Nothing comes to mind. Haven't ever really looked around for waders. I do have a good pair of composite toe (steel toe without the cold and weight) muck boots that are almost knee high, but if you're looking for waist high, I'm not sure I know of anything.
      Need something at least up to 2 - 2.5 feet really. I'm trying to gain access to a mine on private property in the higher elevations of American Fork Canyon and want to have gear ready in case he gives me the go ahead. He told me it has a couple feet of water in it throughout the year. I've been in knee high water in some of the other AF mines (Globe for example) and it is borderline unbearable, to the point your feet are numb. Of course I'll put the word out here too. There is a chance I can go in it this Saturday (we'll be 4-wheeling up on his property), he doesn't want me to go in while everyone is around, thinking they will want to go in too (which I fully understand). If I can go in Saturday I'll report back and we can possible plan a return MU trip? He is a really neat gentleman, great family too, I've met a couple of them over the years. His father remembers riding in the tram from Tibble Fork (then Deer Creek City) to their mine waaaay up on the hill where his father was working. His description of the mine "I have been to the back of it, and my uncle went to the back about a month ago. There's approx. 2' of water all the way back, but you can get all the way there - 2200' into the mountain." - Pretty vague but I'll update as I get it
      Kurt Williams
      CruiserOutfitters.com
      ExpeditionUtah.com
      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mike
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

That sounds very interesting. If you can get in, we'll look forward to your report and schedule a trip for it well before the area closes 4x4 traffic. (If its past tibble fork or alpine loop) Sounds like my type of mine! They don't call me fish for no reason
        -Fish
        Mojave Mine Team
        MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
          True Mojave
          • Jul 2008

This mine is already behind a gated road. If you were to park at the gate and hike to the mine it would be ~1 mile from the gate to the mine. I need to play around with the specifics and find out if my contact is actually the owner of the mine, or if their mine and property is actually higher on the hill. There are a handful of large mines in the area, to my knowledge this is the only one in this particular drainage that is still accessible.
          Kurt Williams
          CruiserOutfitters.com
          ExpeditionUtah.com
          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• RockRacer
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Dec 2008

I too think waders are a good thing to have on hand and just wanted to re-visit this topic and see if there were any other ideas. I was also interested in the trip report.
            Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

Working...