X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Therrin,

Yeah, years ago (seems like a different lifetime) I did enough sport climbing and Search & Rescue training to become pretty familiar with the gear and techniques. When I decided to start vertical exploring, my first instinct is to read everything I can find to get an understanding of current gear and techniques. As you pointed out, going off in a blind rush is a good way to waste money, and equally likely, get hurt.

With regard to harnesses, I don't think it's a "one size fits all" situation. You are certainly correct about the gear loops being convenient. After looking at a number of them, I decided on the GGG. The thing is that we both did our research and evaluated our needs before purchasing our equipment. Similarly I looked at the rope walker ascending system and a few others, but decided that I liked the simplicity of the frog system. It's not the "right" system, just the system I use.

... and the anchor as just some spot they throw a piece of webbing over and clip into without another thought.
    You mean it's not?? When I was sport climbing we were fortunate to be in places where natural anchors were easy to find. The mines really concern me with their lack of reliable structure to tie off on. At first I thought about bolting, but mines like the Sultan are not in solid rock. It's alluvial & sedimentary and badly fractured by blasting. Even a epoxied "bolt" like the Petzl Batínox would not give me much comfort in these mines.

Anyway, I need to get running. Tomorrow is a work day for me.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Therrin
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Jan 2011

Well it could be what's right. But it's what's right "for you". =)

We've been thinking for a while now about fabricating some "portable anchor" devices. Some would basically be a length of 4" square stock structural steel, with flat ends welded on, for spanning gaps. Could even make a nestled design so that it can expand and contract; but still bolt securely in position.

One we were thinking about like a tripod that could be adjusted using lightweight crossbars, chain, and something like all-thread. So it's adjustable for different size openings, but it's relatively "lightweight" (meaning it only weighs 30 or 40lbs).

Just 2 or 3 basic designs that you could pick from for a whole variety of anchoring needs.
      Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
      TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• Joanne
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Therrin
        Well it could be what's right. But it's what's right "for you". =)

We've been thinking for a while now about fabricating some "portable anchor" devices. Some would basically be a length of 4" square stock structural steel, with flat ends welded on, for spanning gaps. Could even make a nestled design so that it can expand and contract; but still bolt securely in position.

One we were thinking about like a tripod that could be adjusted using lightweight crossbars, chain, and something like all-thread. So it's adjustable for different size openings, but it's relatively "lightweight" (meaning it only weighs 30 or 40lbs).

Just 2 or 3 basic designs that you could pick from for a whole variety of anchoring needs.
        Skedoco manufactures a tripod used for cave/mine rescue. It extends up to 10 feet tall, but at a price well over $1,000 it's out of range of most recreational explorers.

One item that I read about in Life On A Line that interested me is a bar that is used to support beams during construction.

Is this something like you have in mind? Apart from weight, something like this would work really well. Place it across a drift and expand it till it's locked in place. I would be careful to rig it with two slings, one attached at each outside end, then join them together watching my angles of course. Something like this would solve some of those situations where there's just no good anchor available. The one big drawback is see is the weight of the unit. I'd have to find some big ol' construction dude to follow me around the mine and set it up where I need it.

Joanne
        Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Therrin
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Jan 2011

THATS AMAZING!

Perhaps we could fabricate a lightweight version. And if not, I'm 6'7"... I'll carry it for you.

Best if you know of a spot you need it places, than just wandering around underground looking for a good spot to put it. lol.

And yes, those tripods are available from a few different manufacturers, but they're never less than $1K. I don't see why we couldn't create something similar for far less money.
          Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
          TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...