X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

The '72 Blazer

It seems like my Dad had every off-road vehicle built during the '60s and '70s. Jeeps, Broncos, and Blazers were all parked at the house at one time or another. The very first vehicle I drove was his white 1972 Blazer. Since then I have always had a special place in my heart for the 1st generation blazers. A couple of years ago I decided to buy one with the intention of having it restored as a daily driver and exploration vehicle. When my daughter saw it she said, "I want it when you die!" So much for tact and diplomacy.... Anyway, ultimately it will be handed down to her (if my son doesn't talk her out of it). As with so many plans that go astray, the Blazer has sat while I bought a new house and had some associated financial outlays.

Well, now it's time to restart the project!

Here is the base vehicle as I purchased it.

This is the overall look I would like to achieve when it's done.

I will be going with the exterior green / white like the picture above, but will have a tan / brown interior. I have been gathering some original parts (seats and console) so it can retain much of the original feel as possible. I have considered going with a modern engine, but am leaning towards a quality rebuild of the existing 350 and adding an aftermarket fuel injection system for driveability and reliability.

I will share pictures as the project progresses. I'm hoping it turns out as nice as the one pictured.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • Kiel
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

Nice, I have a friend that reprograms computers and does the harness for the ls series of engines if you go the more modern route. He does a lot of them for the king of the hammers crowd
    Underground Baby!

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Kiel
      Nice, I have a friend that reprograms computers and does the harness for the ls series of engines if you go the more modern route. He does a lot of them for the king of the hammers crowd
      THANKS! I know there are a number of places that advertise reprogramming, but having a referral to someone that you know his work might push me that direction. Now you have me pondering....

Joanne

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Jeff
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Nov 2008

I have been looking for one of those in the right condition for the right price of course. which is why i am probably still looking. Many years ago I had a small business selling parts for 67 thru 72 truck and have owned a few. What a great project. Can't wait to see the build thread.
        Jeff
        Mojave Mine Team
        Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• Joanne
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Jeff
          I have been looking for one of those in the right condition for the right price of course. which is why i am probably still looking. Many years ago I had a small business selling parts for 67 thru 72 truck and have owned a few. What a great project. Can't wait to see the build thread.
          As you are certainly aware, they are getting more difficult to find all the time. Mine has some rust issues, but wasn't modified or beat up off road. It's going to take a lot of work to get it where I want it. Nice thing is that almost every part is available in the after market. Sure makes it easier to undertake a project like this. I'm glad that I could find original front and rear seats, along with an original center console.

I'm currently looking for an original roll bar, driver's side front fender, and both doors (in decent condition of course). I'll buy aftermarket if I have to but I would like to find decent original parts.

Joanne

Comment

Working...