X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

New mine exploring flashlight!

I'm looking for a new flashlight and am thinking about this one. I'm wondering if I can get one in a headlamp?

Mine Exploring Flashlight

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • Therrin
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jan 2011

OH

MY

GOD

-----

(but it's nice to see there are some fellow CPF'ers on here)

I was thinking a light with just ONE of those would have been nice to build, and then... there's THAT THING!
    Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
    TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• ryan162
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Feb 2009

haha what are you using now? that thing would blind you in a mine!

i do want to look into the XML crees when they become more avalible.

Comment

• Joanne
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by ryan162
        haha what are you using now? that thing would blind you in a mine!

i do want to look into the XML crees when they become more avalible.
        I thought posting that would be good for a laugh. Can you imagine turning that on with it mounted to a helmet? It would melt your face off like the Nazi in Raiders of the Lost Arc. In spite of the flashlight being uber cool, I can't imagine it would be very practical between a short run time, head dissipation, and weighing as much as a bowling ball.

I'm actually pretty happy with my Princeton Tec Apex Pro. It has 4 superbright LEDs for low power and a single emitter for high power. Run times are pretty good with the CR123 batteries, though they are a bit more expensive. I also have a little Streamlight PT 2L that uses the same batteries so it works out for me.

I also carry a couple of backup that are the multi-led lights that run on AAA batteries. You see them everywhere. After buying a few of them of various quality, I found one that I really like. I've been using it for years and it's never missed a beat. They don't have a lot of throw, but a nice floody beam that I like when I'm plodding along in a mine or setting up my camera for a shot. I have one on my helmet as a back up and carry one on a lanyard around my neck. (There's a breakaway so I won't hang myself if it gets caught on anything....)

After writing this post I'm thinking that we should start a light thread where we can all write about our lights, what we like about them and what we don't....

Joanne

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Joanne
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Therrin
          OH

MY

GOD

-----

(but it's nice to see there are some fellow CPF'ers on here)

I was thinking a light with just ONE of those would have been nice to build, and then... there's THAT THING!
          I was STUNNED when I saw the beam shots of that monster! I figured it would put out a lot of light, but not like that. Just amazing.

Yeah, I wander over to CPF from time to time. I don't know enough to post anything intelligent, but I have asked a few questions.

Joanne

Comment

• Stuart
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

Whoa, those beam shots are epic!!!
            I want one!!
            -Stuart Burgess
            Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
            Burgess Exploration LLC
            http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
            Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Therrin
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Jan 2011

Yeah, the SST90 emitters already put out a lot of light. but EIGHT of them??? I was expecting an amazing beamshot, but I was still surprised. That thing is a cannon!

The newer LED technology is getting more efficient. More power is being converted to light instead of heat. The way it was (speaking in general terms here, for you specific lightaholic folks) you're only getting light from 1/3rd of your power, and the other 2/3rds is going to heat.

I <3 the Solarforce L2 platform for handheld stuff, and the Fenix HP10 and HP20 for headlamps. After seeing how well my Fenix headlamps worked on trips, I think 2 or 3 or 4 of the other guys have already picked them up.

Short of custom systems, they have excellent output, they're waterproof (IPX-, regulated output, variable output levels, lightweight, and very cost effective.

**EDIT**
              Actually yeah you're right Joanne, it'd be nice to have a "Lighting" subforum, so all the lighting stuff goes in one place on here.

Comment

• Joanne
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Therrin
                Yeah, the SST90 emitters already put out a lot of light. but EIGHT of them??? I was expecting an amazing beamshot, but I was still surprised. That thing is a cannon!

The newer LED technology is getting more efficient. More power is being converted to light instead of heat. The way it was (speaking in general terms here, for you specific lightaholic folks) you're only getting light from 1/3rd of your power, and the other 2/3rds is going to heat.

I <3 the Solarforce L2 platform for handheld stuff, and the Fenix HP10 and HP20 for headlamps. After seeing how well my Fenix headlamps worked on trips, I think 2 or 3 or 4 of the other guys have already picked them up.

Short of custom systems, they have excellent output, they're waterproof (IPX-, regulated output, variable output levels, lightweight, and very cost effective.

**EDIT**
                Actually yeah you're right Joanne, it'd be nice to have a "Lighting" subforum, so all the lighting stuff goes in one place on here.
                I was going to ask how you liked your HP20! If I didn't already have my Apex, I'd be looking closely at the HP20. There are some amazing custom lights out there, but for mass produced it looks like a really great light.

As much as I like "stuff", at some point I'd rather spend my money on gas to go exploring than to buy yet another piece of duplicate gear.

Joanne

Comment

• Therrin
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Miner
                  • Jan 2011

Ahh... but it's not truly duplicate if it's better!!

That's like saying "I don't need a 200ft rope cuz I already have a 50ft rope". LOL.

I had typed in some info here but I'm gonna go put it in it's own thread. Subj: custom headlamps.

Comment

Working...