X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andy
    Mojave Child
    • Jan 2009

High-power lights?

What do you all recommend for a high-power handheld light? I think I'm covered well enough in the headlamp department now, but I'd like something with the power to effectively look down shafts & inclines etc.
  • Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Here's what you want:
    -Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• ryan162
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Feb 2009

nice i just found the dx website a few monthes ago and was going to post about it.
      i bought three of these, one to give as a gift.

im very happy with them but for anyone buying these cheap lights for caving...take them apart and inspect them. all the dx lights are known for bad soldering and poor assembly (they are dirt cheap what can you expect). i fixed cracked solder spots and added thermal paste to all three lights. another tip is buy the ones that need the 18650 batterys for your main lights at least. theyre big honken batterys and will last much better then the other types.

i also bought a couple of these to use as backups. there very nice for the money and the new versions are perfect on 18650's

my next buy will be another single rc123 flashlight to use in my head band mounts. i think for the price and power they are better then real head lamps.

dx stuff is perfect for banging around in mines. of course if you rich you could buy $900 worth of sure fire lights and end up with less light output and shorter run times

Comment

• offroadcmpr
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Feb 2009

Fenix makes some good lights, but they will cost you around $50. But they should last you a longer than the DX lights.
        Check out www.candlepowerforums.com for all sorts of info about lights. I am a member there and they have some really good suggestions.

Comment

• ryan162
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Feb 2009

good point. if youve got a little more money to spend there is some really nice stuff available these days. i have a $40 single cr123 lumapower light. fit and finish is better then my dx lights. kinda like the difference between a craftsman adjustable wrench and a snap on one.

Comment

• offroadcmpr
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Feb 2009

It is usually better to get something that is a little bit better quality when your life can depend on it. You don't want your cheap light to fail in the middle of a dusty mine, the extra $20 you spend is usually worth it.

Comment

• ryan162
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Feb 2009

thats a good point as well, but also never go alone and always bring back up flashlights. i didnt put much trust in the dx lights untill after i tore them apart and tested them each as a EDC at work. i highly suggest everyone do the same with any cheap light, since the cracked solder joints would have failed someday. i used to carry two flashlights as a rule. now that i have more, we carry three for each person with spare 18650's and two lights on each person at a time. its a little overkill now but like you say, light is a serious thing down in the bowels. even with $300 surefires id carry backups.

Comment

• offroadcmpr
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Feb 2009

I agree with you. I usually have at least 3 different lights at a minimum. Sometimes more. It doesn't matter how well made your lights are, you should always have backups.

Comment

• Mike Schriber
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Cowboy
                  • Dec 2008

After seeing the awesome power of Stuart's Trust Fire light in Tecopa I went ahead and bought one. It seems well put together. I used in for the first time in a mine last month and it worked great. Once you have that many photons in your hand you can never go back. I ordered a second one and a few others in our group got them as well.

I've found the battery life to be excellent. We used it a lot on that trip and it still had plenty of charge left. I carry a spare set of batteries just in case, along with all my extra lights. I'd never rely on one flashlight or headlamp. Last time I checked I was carrying two headlamps and three high power lithium lights with my normal gear (plus spare batteries).

Mike
                  Underground Explorers
                  California Abandoned Mine Exploration

Comment

• Stuart
                    Administrator
                    True Mojave
                    • Sep 2007

I'm glad you guys are enjoying your lights down there. I don't think I will ever forget the looks on your faces when I walked up behind you guys and blasted my trust Fire down an incline. It seems to be pretty infectious once you see how bright those things are. I'm ready to order a second and third one.
                    -Stuart Burgess
                    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                    Burgess Exploration LLC
                    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• konigstigerii
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Cowboy
                      • Dec 2008

I have a streamlight TLR-1 light, xenon bulb and takes two cr123 batteries, very bright, but the run time is short, about an hour total, but is nice as it has the rail to mount on to a pistol, and very durable light, I have dropped mine and gotten it wet, hit it on things (its on my belt all the time), had it for about 2 years, only had to change the batteries. Its a spendy light though about $100, but is tiny and is good if you carry a pistol.

Its now my back up light in mines, as I finally got me a head lamp.

Comment

• colbz
                        Mojave Baby
                        • Sep 2007

The PRO III Tac-Fire Headlamp is my favorite choice. With 520 Lumens strapped on your head and distance of ~600 feet, its seen down pretty deep shafts and inclines. very pricey, 320$, and the brightest setting doesn't last long. but I find it well worth the cost. It comes with batteries and a 2 yr. Warrantee, and full batteries will last about twelve hours. On the brightest setting about 4 hours.

Comment

• Mark1955
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Outlaw
                          • Dec 2008

I just picked up a neat small flashlight that has 12 super bright LEDs as well as a number of green LEDs and and 5 UV led's in it. Runs on three AA batteries. Not only is the white light super bright but having the UV section when looking for minerals will be very helpful. The green LEDs are supposed to be easier on the eyes when in the dark. The whte LEDs also have a flash mode in case you need to be rescued. Can't remember what the name is but it was 30 bucks and is Chineese made. I'll post photos of it later today. Don't know what the run time is on three AA batteries yet...

Mark

Comment

Working...