X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

My new mine exploring light

For quite some time I have been using a Princeton Tec Apex Pro for mine exploring. It has worked without fail for the last two years. The light features a spot light with high and low settings. The light also has four 5mm leds for more flood and longer run times. The 5mm lights have high, low, and flashing settings. This particular light runs off of CR123A lithium batteries. Overall it's a nice light that I'm happy with. Well....until now!

Recently I had the opportunity to acquire a custom built light from a friend of mine in England. Tony (aka SpeedyCaver) uses Oldham mining headlamp shells and builds new "innards" using current LED technology. The original Oldham headlamp used a lead acid battery, and had two incandescent bulbs.

My version of his "Speedy Special" light is the "Flood" model. It uses two R5 emitters, one with a reflector to produce a spot beam, and one that is naked to provide a wide flood beam. Each of the emitters has three power levels. Additionally the light has two 5mm LEDs that are wired directly to the battery through the switch. In the event that the boards controlling the two primary emitters fail, the 5mm LEDs can be selected and will continue to run for many hours.

I have to say that the spot beam on this lamp is MUCH brighter and wider than the one on my Apex. Where this light really excels though is the flood beam!! The beam is close to 170 degrees wide so I can see everything around me rather than just having a spot of light in the direction that I am looking. The light spilling around my feet makes it so I don't have to look down to see where I'm walking. The flood makes it much more natural when I walk.

The light is powered by a battery pack containing three 18650 rechargeable cells. This pack provides approximately three times the run time of Apex Pro. From my limited experience with the light, I seem to be getting about 16 hours on medium power.

The light is controlled using a rotary switch on the right side of the light. Each light is selected sequentially as the switch is rotated through 360 degrees. Once either of the two primary emitters is selected, momentarily making and breaking the connection toggles the light through the three power settings. Each controller board has a memory so the light will return to the last power setting used. Neat eh?

Tony provides a second battery pack and a basic battery charger that plugs into the wall. I decided to purchase an intelligent battery charger that will run off of my vehicle battery so I can charge the battery packs out in the field. These chargers are microprocessor controlled and have an amazing array of charging options.

You can also see the difference between my battery pack and the two CR123A batteries.

This light is significantly heavier than the Apex, but it didn't take long at all for me to get used to the weight. What did surprise me is how much different my underground experience is with this light. The bright, wide angle light makes it easy to really see what is around me.

I am now absolutely spoiled by this light. I will keep my Apex lights for back ups, but I really don't see them getting used much. My Speedy Specials are just amazing lights.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • Kiel
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

Its a huge difference on what you see when you have great lights. I missed so many things
    Underground Baby!

Comment

• ryan162
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Feb 2009

looks like a perfect set up! Spot and flood all in one tough package.

Comment

• Stuart
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

Great setup! Looks very well put together, should do very well for many years. Congrats on scoring one of those!
        -Stuart Burgess
        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
        Burgess Exploration LLC
        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• sanpet
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Mar 2011

Mine lights

As a retired coal miner I think along the lines of coal mining terms, safety and language which has left me in the dark so to speak. The lights of coal miners are way different than the lights used by you guys and dolls. You can not change batteries with a coal mine light. When they are charged they can be good for up to 20 hours. If you are found with a battery of any kind it is grounds for dismissal. Just thought I would add this. All coal mines in the USA are gassy mines. A methane and coal dust explosion will travail at 6X the speed of sound. BTW I have a hard time with the random question because I answer in coal mining ways.

Comment

• Joanne
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2009

Thanks guys! This is my first custom lamp and I'm really happy with it. I know that a lot of folks here run their own custom lamps, but I just don't have the time or equipment to work through the development process to build one. This light beats the pants off my old one and I'm really happy with it.

Sanpet, what you say is true. My light is not intended to be used in an area where an explosion could be triggered by a spark. Although my light is based on an approved mining lamp, it no longer meets those safety standards.

Joanne
            Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• sanpet
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Mar 2011

mine lights

I was talking with a friend of mine a couple weeks ago who works at Deer Creek Coal mine ( that is the mine I retired from) he told me that now the lights they have are not conected to a big battery that you were on your hat. 2X the light and lasts 2X longer. He also said each coal miner before he goes underground has on his person a gas moninter for all typs of gases and also a GPS on him and they know where you are at at all times. I would like to get that stuff but when the MSHA sticker goes on the cost gos up at least 7 X

Comment

Working...