• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Oct 2008

Underground DSLR basics

So I picked-up the new Cannon XSI this spring & will be bringing it to Ophir this weekend. Since this is my first Digital SLR, can anyone give me some guidance on what settings to use for the best shots while underground?
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Of course! We use Canon 20D's underground, using the built in flash. I usually shoot anywhere from ISO 200-400 to get a bit more range from the flash. Since there will be a lot of highlights and shadows, I shoot RAW for the extra bit of exposure depth. I good lens is also nice. Something stabilized, but cheap enough for a beating, such as

Is also nice.

The hardest thing about shooting underground is getting a good focus. The flash focus system usually works well, but if you have an IR focus assist, such as those found on the Speedlight flashes, you'll find a much better focus. Placing a light or bright and sharp object into one of the focus points also helps for a quick sharp focus.

Just takes a bit of experimenting and you'll find your niche for underground photography.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

Working...