X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • go_browns79
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Aug 2010

Sultan & Tecopa

It was a couple good days of exploring. I had a trip planned on wednesday to go to Tecopa with my friends Ben and Dain. The day before we were all together helping Dain move and when we were done Ben said " Why do we have to wait till tomorrow ? Let's go tonight ! " so off to Goodsprings we went. Since I tend to be lazy I still had all my gear, in my truck from the trip a couple weeks ago to Tecopa. We got to the Sultan and dragged all my gear to the same inclined shaft that Joanne went to http://www.mojaveunderground.com/for...ghlight=sultan

It was about 150' down and I was glad I had my gear on. I've been a carpenter for 13 years and know when I'm on a bad ladder. Even though some of the rungs on the ladder have been replaced, where the ladders connect to each other and the shaft were pretty weak. After getting to the bottom I found the giant ore chute, it was pretty impressive.

I climbed up the ladder that lead to a huge stope and immediately found a few treasures

After looking around a pile of "trash" I found a old blasting cap tin

I continued exploring up the stope and was able to get to with in 25' of the bottom of bridge. I kick up so much dust it was nearly impossible for me to get any pics. Along the way I did find a nice wheelbarrow.

On one of the upper levels I came across an interesting work bench.

This was on the bench, does anyone know what the hell it is ? It's been puzzling me ever since I saw it.

We got home from Goodsprings about midnight, got a good nights sleep and headed out to Tecopa about 11 the next morning. My 2 friends have been to a couple small mines but nothing like Tecopa. First I took them over to the incline at War Eagle and we explored all the levels.

Then we headed to my favorite area.

After going around in a couple big circles we headed over to Grant. My friends thought the ladder sounded like fun so I told them we'd be climbing it. They were all excited until they saw it. They finally quit crying and we climbed out of Grant.

Then we walked over to the cave and this is what greets you at the entrance. I'm sure glad it was dead.

Towards the bottom of the cave I found an old felt hat and tobacco tin. I'll give you a great deal on the hat Stu. This is what you wanted right?

We got through the cave into Noonday and climbed all the way up some more ladders to get out. Along the way I found a brand new drill bit head, it still has some of the paint on it. That's the first new one I've found. After all that we get to back through most of it to get back to the truck. It was definitely a good couple days.

I got the complete albums up at http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/...7/War%20Eagle/ and http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/...20of%20Sultan/ Hope u enjoyed, I know I did !!!
    Bill
  • acidman1968
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2010

Looks like it was a good time! Thanks for sharing your pics!
    I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

Great trip report! I was wondering if you got into the big stope in the Sultan. I climbed to the top of the ore chute ladder but didn't explore any further. We climbed into the stope from the second level rather from the first level up through the ore hopper. There's still a couple of interesting places that I want to explore in there. On the other side of the bridge the stope drops down again and I haven't been in that side. There's also a small winze that drops into that side. Might not be anything there, but we can't know till we go. My schedule is pretty crazy for a few weeks but I'll give you a call so we can schedule a day back out there. I'm glad that we got trained up for the vertical exploration. It's really opened up the areas we can explore!

Joanne
      Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

Working...