Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silverstate55
    Mojave Teen
    • Oct 2010

That "other area" was turned over to the Park Service as of January 1st, and a concessionaire will be contracted to eventually open all those facilities for tours. The old caretaker left on New Year's Eve and will be replaced with NPS personnel in the meantime, until an outside vendor wins the contract to start prepping the place for future tours.

This comes first-hand from the previous caretaker, when my father & I contacted him about the possibility of one last private tour before the hand-over on Jan 1st, but they were too busy to accomodate us.

So the good news is that someday soon we will finally get to tour the place legally.

Nice photos BTW, thanks for sharing!!

Comment

• rhartill
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jun 2008

Here's a map of the addition spoken of:

And a detailed history of all mining in Death Valley National Park... search "ryan" for details on the history of this area:

Comment

• tails
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by silverstate55
        That "other area" was turned over to the Park Service as of January 1st, and a concessionaire will be contracted to eventually open all those facilities for tours. The old caretaker left on New Year's Eve and will be replaced with NPS personnel in the meantime, until an outside vendor wins the contract to start prepping the place for future tours.

This comes first-hand from the previous caretaker, when my father & I contacted him about the possibility of one last private tour before the hand-over on Jan 1st, but they were too busy to accomodate us.

So the good news is that someday soon we will finally get to tour the place legally.

Nice photos BTW, thanks for sharing!!
        Well thats the end of that. The minute the NP service takes control the remaining mines will be capped and they will prob rip up the tracks within their boundary. This is a real shame especially since the trestles are all within the proposed boundary. The NP service is always for returning areas to their natural state. They will leave Ryan alone since it has some history, but the tracks heading out of there towards the trestles are very dangerous because the mountainside has started to collapse. Its great fun to explore if you know what your doing but the park service will be forced to close it so that some parents pushing a stroller don't try and head down the grade and get injured.

Comment

• Joanne
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2009

I may be doing a motorcycle ride to Tecopa & Shoshone this weekend. Weather is supposed to be nice so a few friends may head out. Too bad I won't be able to go mine exploring...

Joanne
          Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• silverstate55
            Mojave Teen
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by tails
            Well thats the end of that. The minute the NP service takes control the remaining mines will be capped and they will prob rip up the tracks within their boundary. This is a real shame especially since the trestles are all within the proposed boundary. The NP service is always for returning areas to their natural state. They will leave Ryan alone since it has some history, but the tracks heading out of there towards the trestles are very dangerous because the mountainside has started to collapse. Its great fun to explore if you know what your doing but the park service will be forced to close it so that some parents pushing a stroller don't try and head down the grade and get injured.
            Hopefully not, but I fear you are closer to the real future than what the previous caretaker was passing along to my Dad & I. But I guess even a tame tour of the Ryan facilities is better than none at all. I just hope that it's not completely emasculated for the limp-wristed urban masses (the stroller-pushers you mentioned). After all, if some schmuck blindly follows GPS directions into treacherous conditions and becomes stuck in their Not-So-Smart-Car, then obviously the GPS programmers are to blame for incorrect Shortest Distance directions, eh? What have we come to?!?

Comment

• Therrin
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Joanne
              I may be doing a motorcycle ride to Tecopa & Shoshone this weekend. Weather is supposed to be nice so a few friends may head out. Too bad I won't be able to go mine exploring...

Joanne
              HOW CAN YOU GO TO TECOPA AND NOT GO IN THE MINES????

(sorry for shouting... I feel strongly on this issue)
              Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
              TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• silverstate55
                Mojave Teen
                • Oct 2010

Comment

• Joanne
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jul 2009

Forgive me father for I have sinned.....
                  Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Therrin
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Jan 2011

as an ordained minister now for over a decade, I shall forgive thee, my daughter.

*Therrin waves his hands around wildly and cries out *

Dominus noster Jesus Christus te absolvat; et ego auctoritate ipsius te absolvo ab omni vinculo excommunicationis et interdicti in quantum possum et tu indiges. Deinde, ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.

Go now, my child, and sin no more; never passing the darkened entrance of the underworld through which you have the chance to explore the inner sanctum of this earth, apart from many and accepted by few.
                    Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
                    TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...