• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tails
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Dec 2010

Lundy mine

Located in a canyon just south of Ballarat CA. this mine is located near the summit. We had to use dirtbikes to climb the craziest road to get there. Its so washed out you can't even get a quad up it. You either ride 2 wheels or hike. This mine is more recent but they did leave lots of equipment.
  • acidman1968
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2010

Nice!
    I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Kiel
      Mojave Miner
      • Feb 2009

That stone house is awesome, love the mine truck also
      Underground Baby!

Comment

• Stuart
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

Great stuff, looks to be a fairly modern mine.
        -Stuart Burgess
        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
        Burgess Exploration LLC
        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• silverstate55
          Mojave Teen
          • Oct 2010

The access road is so bad that only dirt bikes can get up there? Hmm...I'm picking up a quad in a few months, that figures!! I'll have to borrow a dirt bike then, that one has been high on my list for quite some time.

Thanks for the fantastic "teaser" photos!!

Comment

• tails
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by silverstate55
            The access road is so bad that only dirt bikes can get up there? Hmm...I'm picking up a quad in a few months, that figures!! I'll have to borrow a dirt bike then, that one has been high on my list for quite some time.

Thanks for the fantastic "teaser" photos!!
            Well lets put it this way, If you had a real "off road" quad with 4 wheel drive and such you could prob walk it up, but it would take forever. A sport quad, good luck. What you can't see about the road is the 2-3 foot deep ruts that are running right down the middle almost the entire length. The crisscross the road from erosion and if you were to get a wheel into one you are either stuck or the quad is rolling off the mountain. There were actually 2 sections I remember having to get off the bike and walk it up while feathering the clutch. Both our bikes were blowing coolant from the breather hoses when we got to the top they were so overheated. I don't mean to disway you from trying, anything is possible. Just know what your getting into.

Comment

• tails
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Dec 2010

Also not to get to far off topic but be aware of the CA legal requirements for OHV's. Technically riding a quad anywhere in CA on a designated fire or forest road is illegal and you can be ticketed and your vehicle can be inpounded. In AZ and UT if it has wheels and an engine you can make it street legal and licensed, CA only recognizes street legal 2 wheeled vehicles of this nature. So ATV's and side x sides are not allowed licensed or not. This mine and the canyon which leads to it fall into DVNP and therefore illegal to operate these vehicles. My brother and I were riding street legal dirtbikes so we were fine under CA law. We looped thru cerro gordo, saline valley up to the hot springs. We traveled all thru the death valley off road and looped into barker ranch and then to lundy mine. Thru all this we did run into several rangers in jeeps who always asked to see our registration. So just take this for what its worth and be aware you may run into someone. The canyon leading to this mine is very popular since it also leads to Barker ranch (manson's last hideout) and since the ranch was vandalized a few years back, the park service may be patrolling more than normal. Either way good luck.

Comment

• Derek
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jul 2008

I was wondering where this mine was located. I first saw it on intrepidexplorers website.
                -Derek
                Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• silverstate55
                  Mojave Teen
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by tails
                  Well lets put it this way, If you had a real "off road" quad with 4 wheel drive and such you could prob walk it up, but it would take forever. A sport quad, good luck. What you can't see about the road is the 2-3 foot deep ruts that are running right down the middle almost the entire length. The crisscross the road from erosion and if you were to get a wheel into one you are either stuck or the quad is rolling off the mountain. There were actually 2 sections I remember having to get off the bike and walk it up while feathering the clutch. Both our bikes were blowing coolant from the breather hoses when we got to the top they were so overheated. I don't mean to disway you from trying, anything is possible. Just know what your getting into.
                  WOW, that's intense!! The quad I'm buying is a 700 4x4 with lift kit (long travel suspension) and oversize tires/wheels, as well as front/rear winches. But I'd hate to get partway up and not be able to continue....

Thanks for the details!! I very much appreciate it.

Comment

• silverstate55
                    Mojave Teen
                    • Oct 2010

Also not to get to far off topic but be aware of the CA legal requirements for OHV's. Technically riding a quad anywhere in CA on a designated fire or forest road is illegal and you can be ticketed and your vehicle can be inpounded. In AZ and UT if it has wheels and an engine you can make it street legal and licensed, CA only recognizes street legal 2 wheeled vehicles of this nature. So ATV's and side x sides are not allowed licensed or not. This mine and the canyon which leads to it fall into DVNP and therefore illegal to operate these vehicles. My brother and I were riding street legal dirtbikes so we were fine under CA law. We looped thru cerro gordo, saline valley up to the hot springs. We traveled all thru the death valley off road and looped into barker ranch and then to lundy mine. Thru all this we did run into several rangers in jeeps who always asked to see our registration. So just take this for what its worth and be aware you may run into someone. The canyon leading to this mine is very popular since it also leads to Barker ranch (manson's last hideout) and since the ranch was vandalized a few years back, the park service may be patrolling more than normal. Either way good luck.
                    Yes, thanks, but I thought that this particular mine fell just outside the DVNP boundaries...most maps I've checked show it just outside the boundary. Has something changed recently (other than the recent DVNP expansion)? It appeared that the boundaries of the NP went around this mine complex.

Comment

• tails
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Cowboy
                      • Dec 2010

Yes, thanks, but I thought that this particular mine fell just outside the DVNP boundaries...most maps I've checked show it just outside the boundary. Has something changed recently (other than the recent DVNP expansion)? It appeared that the boundaries of the NP went around this mine complex.
                      You may be right, I know the border is somewhere in that canyon. The Mine may be just on the outside, but CA rules still apply national park or not. As far as the quad you are getting, worst case give it a try, it definatley has the power. If you get to a point where you can't continue park the ATV and hike the rest of the way. But just know your not turning that thing around anywhere on the switchbacks. you may have to reverse for a bit. Its also been 2 years since I was there so the road conditions i'm sure have changed. Most times they never get any better, but who knows.

Comment

• silverstate55
                        Mojave Teen
                        • Oct 2010

You may be right, I know the border is somewhere in that canyon. The Mine may be just on the outside, but CA rules still apply national park or not. As far as the quad you are getting, worst case give it a try, it definatley has the power. If you get to a point where you can't continue park the ATV and hike the rest of the way. But just know your not turning that thing around anywhere on the switchbacks. you may have to reverse for a bit. Its also been 2 years since I was there so the road conditions i'm sure have changed. Most times they never get any better, but who knows.
                        I just wanted to thank you again for the detailed access road condition report; I appreciate it much more than I originally made known. Based on what you've already reported, I wouldn't even try it in a quad. I've got many years riding dirt bikes, and after having to downsize a couple of years ago when my wife's company folded, we are now in position to start picking up a toy here and a toy there.... but I certainly appreciate your observations and will take them to heart.

And you are absolutely spot-on about CA OHV regulations; it's easy to forget about them while living next door in Nevada.

Thanks again!

Comment

• tails
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Cowboy
                          • Dec 2010

I just wanted to thank you again for the detailed access road condition report; I appreciate it much more than I originally made known. Based on what you've already reported, I wouldn't even try it in a quad. I've got many years riding dirt bikes, and after having to downsize a couple of years ago when my wife's company folded, we are now in position to start picking up a toy here and a toy there.... but I certainly appreciate your observations and will take them to heart.

And you are absolutely spot-on about CA OHV regulations; it's easy to forget about them while living next door in Nevada.

Thanks again!
                          No worries, I would hate for someone to roll down that mountain and I know what you mean. I love living in AZ, I can legally ride my dirtbike or ATV down to the store to get some milk, and I can carry my gun at the same time. Everytime I cross the damn border I feel the need to hide all the contraband. But thats a different thread.

Comment

• Danb
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Cowboy
                            • Sep 2009

Thanks tails for the OHV report on CA laws.

My friends and I must have been real lucky or the CA OHV laws are updated. We put about 100 miles on two different trips north west of the Barstow area in 2002, 2003. Didn’t see one officer. We went through a 1 mile dual track train tunnel, down the side of some paved roads, checked out a few old mines, then over east to a Joshua tree area.

We also came across some guys in a hummer with a flat, offered what little assistance we could give being on ATV’s. The discussion then turned to CA gun laws. What a joke, their laws suck. I had my AR15 locked in my truck, that is even illegal if it was not purchased in CA from what they told us.

These guys where Ex AR (Army Reserve) from Barstow and came to Utah for guard duty at the Deseret Chemical Disposal Plant after 911. (small world) They hated CA. No wonder CA is broke. Their rules drive people away.

And seeing recent posts I didn’t realize how close I was to so many mines in the Death Valley area. I wanted to head down there when it gets a bit warmer but I will not with their stupid laws and restrictions. I will spend my time and money in friendlier areas.
                            UT, AZ, And my favorite ID.

Danb
                            We do it underground and under water.
                            Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

Working...