• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tails
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Dec 2010

UPDATED!!!California, Arizona border

Was back here exploring 3/23 and found the easy entrance was completly wiped off the mountain by a rockslide. Only access is now into a 45deg stope. We had to do a small amount of digging. Basically the ledge above is eroding filling up the stope and opening. One more wet season and this mine will be sealed forever and a lot of history and artifacts will be lost. If you go, don't go alone and bring a shovel. I will provide coordinates if you want to get out there. It won't be open for much longer.

My brother and I explored this "closed" mine a few years back. Its still stocked floor to ceiling with civil defense supplies. It was outfitted as an emergency fallout shelter during the cuban missile crisis and was outfitted to hold 5000 people for up to 2 months. Its multiple levels and huge.

Last edited by tails; 03-24-2011, 11:04 PM.
  • acidman1968
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2010

That is too cool!! Heck, that stuff is almost 50 years old - so it's basically considered "antiques". Post more pics, please!
    I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Kiel
      Mojave Miner
      • Feb 2009

How were the biscuits? I would eat one
      Underground Baby!

Comment

• tails
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Dec 2010

never tried the biscuits but they were still sealed up. We did however remove the lid off of one of the water containers. In which the water was double bagged. We took a sample because we know that eventually even water goes bad. I gave the sample to a buddy of mine who goes to ASU and he had it tested in the chem lab. It was still considered safe after all this time. I will post up some more pics in a bit.

Comment

• tails
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Dec 2010

A few more pics. As you can see some of the cooridors had double tracks and were large enough for a full size locomotive to roll thru.
          Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Comment

• silverstate55
            Mojave Teen
            • Oct 2010

Most of the entrances were dynamited shut several years ago...I take it another entrance has been uncovered??? I hope so, I was wanting to explore this mine but put it on the back burner when I heard that the entrances were blasted shut.

Did you have to rope in?

Thanks!!!

Comment

• ryan162
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Feb 2009

i had also read this one was blasted shut quite awhile ago. have you been back recently?

Comment

• Derek
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jul 2008

Ah yes the so called "underground city" mine. I certainly hope that it has been uncovered since it has been on my list for awhile now.
                -Derek
                Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• silverstate55
                  Mojave Teen
                  • Oct 2010

I'd love to explore this one also; it was very high on my list until I found out that the entrances were blasted shut. If anyone wants to meet up to explore it, I'm in! Although it looks like the surrounding area is overrun by RVs during the colder months, is this the case? If so I don't mind waiting until it warms up...otherwise, I'm IN!!

Comment

• tails
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Cowboy
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Derek
                    Ah yes the so called "underground city" mine. I certainly hope that it has been uncovered since it has been on my list for awhile now.
                    No entrances have been "uncovered" the company was pretty intent on sealing everything. They even grated the vertical shafts. We found only 2 ways in and each one was way up on the mountain and missed by the company. Prob cause no roads lead to the entrances and so they couldn't get equipment up there. Anyway, to gain access you first need to cross unlocked gate with a very long no tresspassing sign, then further down the road the company in several spot dug big ditches across to stop access. Unless you have a 4x4 with a short wheelbase you walk the rest of the way.

Comment

• silverstate55
                      Mojave Teen
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by tails
                      No entrances have been "uncovered" the company was pretty intent on sealing everything. They even grated the vertical shafts. We found only 2 ways in and each one was way up on the mountain and missed by the company. Prob cause no roads lead to the entrances and so they couldn't get equipment up there. Anyway, to gain access you first need to cross unlocked gate with a very long no tresspassing sign, then further down the road the company in several spot dug big ditches across to stop access. Unless you have a 4x4 with a short wheelbase you walk the rest of the way.
                      Again, many thanks for the detailed response on access conditions; they have been duly noted.

Comment

• tails
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Cowboy
                        • Dec 2010

I'm 2 hrs away amd would be willing to go back to show you all the entrance. There is another mine just north of there, maybe a mile that was also sealed. Heading back will give me an opportunity to check them both out, and try and find a way into the second mine. I would really like to go in there with my dirtbike as to increase the ground we are able to cover. So if anyone else has a ATV or dirtbike let me know. Access to the other mine appears to be impossable altogether for a large vehicle. They completley removed any traces of the road. Its either offroad, or on foot

Comment

• tails
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Cowboy
                          • Dec 2010

updated main post

Comment

• miner49r
                            Mojave Child
                            • Mar 2011

Underground Fallout Shelters

This is truly an incredible find, and am so thankful you had a chance to document what you did before possibly losing forever.
                            Here in Oregon we have a MUCH smaller fallout shelter concrete bunker added to a natural lava cave in the 1960's. Any idea how common fallout shelters were in mines & caves?

Comment

• tails
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Cowboy
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by miner49r
                              This is truly an incredible find, and am so thankful you had a chance to document what you did before possibly losing forever.
                              Here in Oregon we have a MUCH smaller fallout shelter concrete bunker added to a natural lava cave in the 1960's. Any idea how common fallout shelters were in mines & caves?
                              Well I do have some documentation of mines and caves across the country that were stocked with these types of supplies. I wasn't extremly uncommon, but in the vast picture of all abandoned mines, its a fraction of a percentage. I know for a fact there is a room in Grand canyon caverns that has these supplies. But other than that I have been unable to visit some of the sites listed. That will be my mission next year to hit these specific sites. I have several in NV and a couple in AZ, and UT. But as far as the documentation goes this was the only one in Cali. California mine explorers are heading out there this weekend to see whats left. i gave them an update and the coordinates. hopefully they will be able to further document the site before its lost.
                              Last edited by tails; 03-25-2011, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Working...