Afternoon hike to the Wandering Jew Mine...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acidman1968
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2010

Afternoon hike to the Wandering Jew Mine...

...at least that's what I think the name of this mine up by Jacob City is.

Last Thursday I finally got off my duff and took off for the hills. The weather forecast was calling for rain in the lower elevations and snow in the higher elevations for the upcoming weekend / week, and I decided I'd best get up there before it was inaccessible for the rest of the fall/winter.

I parked where the road splits - one road goes down into the Jacob City town site, and the other continues along the side of the canyon above the town site. From there, I worked my way down the old road that's only accessible by foot toward the ore bin that can be seen out on the point below. Along the trail, there are several side branches that can be explored, and you'll also pass by two old water tanks if you decide to check out this area. One of them is still encased in the wood / dirt insulation "blanket" that was put on it decades ago, and the other one has had the wood / dirt fall off it.

Near the tanks you'll also be able to relieve yourself - if necessary... Yeah, that's where the old outhouse still stands.

It was a beautiful day for a hike. The weather was warm, it was party cloudy, and there was a light breeze... I couldn't resist taking a couple pics of the Hidden Treasure from the area of the point where the Wandering Jew Mine is located.

There was also an awesome view looking down the canyon from pretty much the same location as those previous pics...

Here's a zoomed-in shot of the ore bin from the same location.

I'm guessing that this collapsed building was a bunkhouse - mainly because the outhouse is about 20 yards beyond the front door of the building.

...and speaking of the front door of the bunkhouse(?)...

I'm guessing that this was the powder magazine, but it could also have been a cold-storage area for food and such. It seemed to go back a little bit - but I didn't go in beyond the outer door frame because I was hiking alone.

Amid what little bit of a can scatter that can be seen (it appears that the majority of the trash from the operation was just pitched over the cliff), I found these two old work boots.

Here's a pic from the steel machine mounts in front of the mine adit of the entrance and the remaining half of the ore bin.

...and of course, I had to try for a self-portrait to include in a letter to my son who's still at Basic Training.

A closer inspection of the ore bin shows that what's left standing is only half of what once was a double ore bin. Three sides are missing from the second half, and the remaining part is slowly succumbing to the elements. If you look, the wall on the left side of the bin appears to be separating away...

On the way home, down by Stockton, I spotted this coyote standing still out in a field. It appeared to be staring down at a rodent hole, waiting for whatever critter was there to come out and become a hot lunch.
    I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...
  • btay801
    Mojave Teen
    • Jul 2009

Thanks for the trip report and pics acidman1968! I have never explored that area of Jacob City, but it looks like it is well work it.

Comment

• lobster68w
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Dec 2008

I've always wanted to hike down there but have been to lazy!! Too bad it's sealed off

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• acidman1968
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by lobster68w
        I've always wanted to hike down there but have been to lazy!! Too bad it's sealed off
        The adit of the mine is gated off (even though someone has removed a small section to the left), but that wouldn't really help you much if you could get through. Part of the reason the ore bin is on the ground, is because the ground beneath it appears to have caved into the tunnel. If you look below the section of the ore bin that's missing the walls, there's a depression there. That's probably why it fell to ground level in the first place.

...it also looks like someone gave a half-hearted attempt to dig down under the ore bin in the hope they could access the tunnel - which actually may be possible, but you'd probably have to dig six to 10 feet down before you encountered the tunnel.

Comment

• one_bad_rover

Wandering jew is actually on the other side of the mtn on the ophir side. Its one of the oldest mines in the canyon. Stu, that sound correct?

Comment

• acidman1968
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by one_bad_rover
            Wandering jew is actually on the other side of the mtn on the ophir side. Its one of the oldest mines in the canyon. Stu, that sound correct?
            Like I said, I could be wrong...

I used the information from this page - http://oil-and-gold.com/mines/Utah/Tooele?page=44

...and then entered the coordinates for what they list as the "Wandering Jew Mine" into Google Earth. It zeroes right down onto the mine down on that point.

Either way, it's a fairly interesting location.

Comment

• Kiel
              Mojave Miner
              • Feb 2009

The mine database has the wandering jew mine west of your location close to the queen of the hills mine, but it looks like your on the right side of the mountain.
              Underground Baby!

Comment

• Stuart
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

Half correct actually; it is one of the oldest mines in the Canyon, but acidman1968 was in the right place as far as coordinates go. Oral accounts on the other hand have varied depending on who I ask. John Skinner has told me it is in one place, and Leo has told me it is in a different place.

Mindat simply lists the Wandering Jew as "Across canyon from Hidden Treasure Mine."
                -Stuart Burgess
                Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                Burgess Exploration LLC
                http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• one_bad_rover

Id take Skinners word. He seems to know whats up. Leo's could vary with his recollection and Im pretty sure he never worked em.
                  As for documentation, the only problem with that is where the info comes from. Strait out of the old USGS and Newpapers would be more trustable than the manipulated info that is disseminated by BLM and DOGM today.

Comment

• rhartill
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Outlaw
                    • Jun 2008

Wandering Jew patent map from the year 1874 shows the discovery shaft was 450 feet west and slightly south of the Utah Queen Boarding House...

Comment

Working...