• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acidman1968
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2010

Queen of the Hills hike...

Went for a bit of a hike today with my son... We're trying to get a bit of the whole father-son stuff before he ships out. His new ship-out date is October 26th...

Today, we decided to head up to the Jacob City area and hike out to the old Queen of the Hills site. It was a good day for a hike - even if it was a little warmer than I'd have liked - but it was a lot of fun.

Not much remains of the site - except for the tailings piles. The Utah DOGM really destroyed the place during their "reclamation".

One of the first things we came across was what appeared to be the remains of an old stove.

There are a lot of tailings, but not much else. All of the adits have been collapsed / buried, and otherwise destroyed. There was one small adit that looks like a small animal has burrowed into it, but that's pretty much it. I didn't get too close to it to check it out - but it also appears to be off to one side from the main QOTH mine.

There are a couple of large cable spools / gear wheels hiding down in the brush though... The following few pics show the winch setups - oh, and one of them appears to have operated by steam. My son is in one of the pics to add a bit of scale to the winch.

The winch appears to have been manufactured by "Copeland & Bacon, NY"

This boiler is just down from the more intact winch setup, and it's down in a big pile of bricks.

One last look down at the tailings pile...

This crew is drilling on one of the knolls along the road up to Jacob City...
    I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...
  • btay801
    Mojave Teen
    • Jul 2009

Cool pics Acidman1968. I have seen that mine on the maps and wondered how far up Dry Canyon it was. Never been there, thanks for the trip report!

Comment

• acidman1968
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by btay801
      Cool pics Acidman1968. I have seen that mine on the maps and wondered how far up Dry Canyon it was. Never been there, thanks for the trip report!
      It's up there, and if you've got an ATV, you can get most of the way to the mine without hiking. I don't have an ATV, and I really NEED to be hiking to try and work off a little - well, a LOT - of the extra weight I've got around my mid-section...

This is the route we followed:

I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

Working...