• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Mary Ellen Gulch

Just returned for my second trip to Mary Ellen Gulch today. The road to the mine was as hard as ever, in particular the shortcut road between the Globe and the Yankee (Kurt, you know the one.) This time around, Jared and I came prepared with muck boots and our (now) standard arsenal of exploration gear. We first hit up the Live Yankee mine. The water was about 2 feet deep and frigid cold. Inside, we found an incredible electric motor and compressor station. Everything is covered in rust, but inside the panels of the compressor shows near perfect components. Strangely, old miners clothing wrapped a lot of the equipment. About 40' into the mine, there is a very large backfill that I suspect one could climb through if he were daring enough, but I suspect there would only be a lot of deep water on the other side.

After poking around a bit more on the Live Yankee level, we took the old Nissan for the ride of it's life as we attempted to drive the shortcut between the Yankee and the Globe mine. Large boulders, mud, and heavy washouts stopped me about 50' from the Globe road. I decided that after sliding into a large boulder and putting a large and unsightly dent into the side of my truck, we'd just hoof it the rest of the way. The Globe mine offered better exploration this time around. We explored for about 45 minutes before covering all the tunnels. We found a unique form of explosive, a large plastic tube filled with a grey clay like material unlike any explosives I've ever seen. Think about a 2' long ground sausage package with giant warning labels all over it and you'll have an idea of what we were looking at. The mine was also wet, with its deepest point being about 2' deep. The mine stayed at the same elevation for most of the workings, with the exception of a few chases and a couple rabbit holes which were too small for Jared or I to fit into. Also interesting to point out were roof bolts at the end of one of the drifts, something you only see in modern mines. Does anybody know the last time somebody worked on the mine? My best guesstimate would put it in the early 80's judging by the explosives and the roof bolts.

Mary Ellen Gulch is a fun area and I'm looking forward to bringing everyone back in September for one of our Meetups!
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • one_bad_rover

I beleive the globe was fully retimbered in the 1980s in anticipation of a reopening that never happened. Thats the one that still has the Hilton (cabin) near it, right?

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Yup thats the one. For being re-timbered only 30 years ago, its in pretty poor condition.
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Stuart
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

Awesome trip report, sounds like a wicked road. Got any sweet pictures or video?

Yup thats the one. For being re-timbered only 30 years ago, its in pretty poor condition.
        Water makes all the different in mine conditions. If that same mine were in S-Utah the timer would be in great condition. I can't imagine working under those conditions with all the water issues.
        -Stuart Burgess
        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
        Burgess Exploration LLC
        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mike
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

A little video clip (sorry about the low quality) here:

Some photos here:

-Fish
          Mojave Mine Team
          MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Stuart
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing, love the mud.
            -Stuart Burgess
            Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
            Burgess Exploration LLC
            http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
            Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• ExpUt
              True Mojave
              • Jul 2008

Silver Bell was actually the 'recently' re-timbered mine, they upgraded the road, built a new adit under the older ore body and re-timbered other sections of the mine in ~1980.

The Globe by my best records was last worked in the 50's and 60's.

Interesting note about the explosives Mike. While its certainly possible they have been there this entire time, my theory is they came from somewhere else and were dumped or experimented with there. Similarly, I found a blasting cap (modern electric) in the sink of the Mary Ellen Hilton (building at the end of the road the Globe adit is on) just last year. I had been to the canyon a dozen times before and it was obviously a new introduction to the cabin. It very well could have been found elsewhere in the canyon and put there though. ~15 years ago some kids found a stash of explosives in the Mineral Basin area, remnants of the mining in the area.

Fwiw I'm not too sure that blockage in the Live Yankee is a backfill as the reclamation reports list it as caved before they back filled the entrance (which has subsequently been dug out). If/when you can get past it, your surely to encounter a lot of water, possibly over your head as its pushing water out higher on the mounting at one of the other adits. On the other hand it might be possible to drain it?

Old maps show the Globe workings and the Live Yankee connecting, I'm still working to figure out how/where that happened.

On an interesting note power came from Snake Creek over what is now called 'Pole Line Pass' to the Live Yankee. It powered not only the mine workings but the tram that used to run right from the Yankee to what is now Tibble Fork Reservoir (supposed to be Tipple). Standing at the Yankee tram base you can still line up a couple of the standing tram towers up on the mountain to the south.
              Kurt Williams
              CruiserOutfitters.com
              ExpeditionUtah.com
              MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...