• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Accident Mine, NV

Hi all!

Things have slowed down just a bit so I picked up my son and headed out into desert for a bit of exploring. I've been to a number of mines up in this ridge line and they are all well up the side of the ridge. This mine is about 500 feet up a VERY steep slope. On the way up to the mine we couldn't locate the miner's trail so we climbed up out of the gully and up to the mine. Once up there we located the miner's trail that wound its way along the ridge before descending in a series of switchbacks. (We hiked down the trail and it was much safer than if we had tried to climb down the way we went up!!)

The hike up to this mine was a real challenge for someone who works in the office all day!

Like most of the mines in this area, this mine had an aerial tramway. The cable has fallen down but is still laying on the ground. Here's my son leading the way up the ridge. You can see the ore hopper wayyy up the hill.

Looking down the hill you can see just how steep and rugged this area is.

The hopper is still in pretty good condition.

My son climbed up on the hopper and took this photo.

This track runs from the main adit to the hopper.

The tramway cable is anchored deep inside an upper adit.

In the main adit is this winch. At one time there was an engine that ran it, but the engine is now long gone.

The adit is sloped down at about 30° so the cable cut grooves in the tie.

This is one of the more interesting mines that I've been in. My son and I laughed that the mine was made for midgets since much of it was really low. Helmets are a must for this mine!
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • John
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Oct 2008

Cool pics.

Comment

• Dino
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Jan 2009

Yeah! Very good pics. After my learning experience with the classifier pictures, I can only imagine how much time it must have taken to load your pictures into the forum. Thanks for sharing!!

Comment

• Joanne
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Dino
        Yeah! Very good pics. After my learning experience with the classifier pictures, I can only imagine how much time it must have taken to load your pictures into the forum. Thanks for sharing!!
        It does take a bit of work, but once you get the swing of posting them it isn't that bad. I like sharing my adventures so posting the photos is a "must".

Joanne

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Derek
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2008

Did you find this mine by accident?
          -Derek
          Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Joanne
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by cheever
            Did you find this mine by accident?
            Yep, purely by accident!

Joanne

Comment

• ryan162
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Feb 2009

great pictures thank you!

Comment

Working...