• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark1955
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Dec 2008

MORONS!

After seeing Robert Cranney's photos of Meadow Hot Spring I decided that next trip back from St. George I would find the place and go for a dip. It wasn't hard to find it with the use of my i-Phone and Google maps/GPS, I drove right to it! When I pulled up there was a gate and you have to walk about 100 yards in to get to the spring.... no problem. Upon arriving at the spring I found that some morons had camped there last night and had left a mess of the place. Campfire was still smoldering and there were beer cans every where including down in the springs, empty cigarette packs and butts all over. It was really disgusting to say the least. In addition who ever was there was too lazy to walk the 100 yards and drove around and through the fence on the west side of the property... now some of the fence is also down and it is apparent they also got stuck over in the mud!! It sure is sad that there are those out there that do not appreciate what they have been given.

Anyone want to go down next weekend and do a clean up with me? This would include SCUBA to go down and get the cans back up from the bottom of the springs....

Mark

• Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Kassia and I would love to go down and help clean up. We can bring tools and basic supplies to scrub the area - we need to remove evidence of that being a camp fire spot in order to help stymie future fires at the spring. Lets hope we can get to it before the owner does. Don't have SCUBA gear but I can dive to the bottom when my ears allow it. Too bad we don't know anybody who can run prints on the cans. I'm sure whoever is making the mess is on file.

Perhaps we could carpool?
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mark1955
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Dec 2008

Sure Mike!

That would work out well. It would be nice to track down the owner and let him know about this and that we will volunteer to do the clean up. I also don't know if the place can be policed or not... or if there is anything beyond a Sherriff in that area. Lets firm this up as we get towards the middle of the week and see if there are any other volunteers willing to help out.

Mark

Comment

• RockRacer
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Dec 2008

Proud of you guys! Great examples. I wish I could come down and lend a hand. Things are very busy for my company until the end of tax season. Mandatory overtime required. Sucks, in a way.

If you guys make it down, make sure to let us know of your great work with a report and pictures. I am sure we don't need to ask though.
        Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• Joanne
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2009

I wish I could head up there and join you guys. Unfortunately I'm buried through the end of April. I'm a diver so it would be a fun to help the clean up effort. If you decide to go later in the spring, let me know!

Joanne
          Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Dino
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Jan 2009

I love Meadow and usually hit it on my way back from a weekend of work in Marysvale. Most of the time people are respectful and since it's been renovated I haven't noticed a problem with garbage until just recently. However, just this past year someone has been dismantling the fence and using it for fire wood. What a shame! especially for those of us who remember it before the recent renovations and how much worse it was. I agree with Mike in that it would be a good idea to completly erase any indication of previous fire and maybe go a step further with signage to state no fires allowed near the springs. I would like to assist in the clean up effort this weekend and also know of some amazing lava tunnels that can be explored within a couple of miles of the the springs.

Comment

• Pete
              Mojave Child
              • Nov 2009

I live in the immediate area. That's not campers messing up the hot springs, it's people partying. The land is owned by the estate of billionaire James Sorenson. The family owns alot of land in the area. Most of the land is managed by White Sage Ranch, out of Kanosh. The ranch closed their property to hunting years ago because of disrespectful people. I'm surprised they haven't closed access to the "hot pots" as the locals call them.

Comment

• Mark1955
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Dec 2008

So who is going and where should we all meet up on Saturday? In case of inclement weather should we also just say the next weekend?

Lemme know....

Mark

Comment

• Mike
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

Kassia and I are in Orem, we can do any time in the morning or early afternoon. Have to be back by 5PM though. Hot springs are good no matter the weather If its cold, all the nicer the water will be
                  -Fish
                  Mojave Mine Team
                  MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mike
                    Administrator
                    True Mojave
                    • Sep 2007

Looks like Kassia and I are going to head down tonight and stay over in Fairview at her parents place. We'll meet ya'll in the morning. Thinking 11AM. How does that sound?
                    -Fish
                    Mojave Mine Team
                    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mark1955
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Outlaw
                      • Dec 2008

Mike,

I can't make it tomorrow... I have to work in the morning in Logan to finish a screen that we started to hang today at a theater there. Got the screen up but not all the masking (black border). I have to have it done by Monday for a 3-D setup that I'm doing for Friday!!! I refuse to work Sunday unless it's a dire emergency so we will more then likely head down there Sunday morning and complete what ever you are not able to do. I will call you and discuss this in the morning...

Mark

Comment

Working...