• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RockRacer
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Dec 2008

Mine Exhibit at Snowbird

I am sure most if not all know about this but I thought I would post it up anyway. My family has always had a condo in the Iron Blosam lodge since I can remember. I have always noticed this display, but never cared about it as much as I do now. I wish I could buy the whole display! Seems like perfect condition! This was last fall.

We then went up to another area and I taught Gage how to mine.

Tobin - K7TOB

• KDT1970
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Sep 2009

that is neat, i have lived here my whole life and didnt know about it. I think i will need to go up there this summer.

Comment

• RockRacer
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by KDT1970
      that is neat, i have lived here my whole life and didnt know about it. I think i will need to go up there this summer.
      Definitely a fun time, especially with kids. They have other fun activities also in the same area.
      Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• RockRacer
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Dec 2008

Just realized I messed up my photobucket links so even though these aren't the most exciting pictures, I thought I would post. Plus I wanted to add a few others from the same trip.

Like I stated in the original post, this is probably old for most of the people, but it's fun for me and I have never paid attention to this stuff in the past.

While we were hiking up to a waterfall we noticed someone squeezing through a cut out section of this gate. Don't know why they bothered with the gate because apparently it doesn't go back very far at all.
        Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• RockRacer
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Dec 2008

BTW, here's a picture of the entrance to Roy's mine. Easily seen from the road as I am sure all of you have already seen it. Barely worth posting I guess, but it would be fun to get permission to open it up and take a look inside! I have dreamed about checking this out for many many years.

Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• ExpUt
            True Mojave
            • Jul 2008

I've been inside of the Blind Miners mine many times over the years. It was a major high school 'hot spot' for us (along with the Lost Emma and several others). An older (age) friend of mine worked with Roy in the 60's, supposedly he used to bring food up to him.

Where is that other mine (with the cut out gate)? Is that right at the mouth of Mineral Fork? You go through the gate and head up the canyon a few hundred feet on an old road? You say apparently doesn't go that far, did you check? If that is the one I'm thinking of (cut out is new) it did have bad air and supposedly made a handful of explorers sick a few years back. Brent would remember the story better than me as I think it was some of his pals that got sick? (or was that the mine at the top of Mineral Fork?
            Kurt Williams
            CruiserOutfitters.com
            ExpeditionUtah.com
            MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• RockRacer
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ExpUt
              I've been inside of the Blind Miners mine many times over the years. It was a major high school 'hot spot' for us (along with the Lost Emma and several others). An older (age) friend of mine worked with Roy in the 60's, supposedly he used to bring food up to him.

Where is that other mine (with the cut out gate)? Is that right at the mouth of Mineral Fork? You go through the gate and head up the canyon a few hundred feet on an old road? You say apparently doesn't go that far, did you check? If that is the one I'm thinking of (cut out is new) it did have bad air and supposedly made a handful of explorers sick a few years back. Brent would remember the story better than me as I think it was some of his pals that got sick? (or was that the mine at the top of Mineral Fork?
              No kidding! I don't suppose going in is still an option? You really do get around Kurt!

Don't know if this picture helps, but that gated off mine shaft is still up Little Cottonwood Canyon and is on the way to this:
              Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• Danb
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Sep 2009

I grew up at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon and have been in the Blind Miners mine several times. It goes back about 900 ft. It has several forks. It also has a locomotive about 100 feet in. You have to squeeze around it. There was an ore cart that you could push up and down the tracks. We went back in about 15 years ago and the ore cart was gone. Someone had to take it apart and get it out piece by piece to get it around the locomotive.

The adit at the bottom of Mineral fork goes in about 300 ft. It had a wooden dam with two 4 in. pipes with valves. Behind the dam it forked, about 50 ft. ea. fork. The adjacent adit to the west goes in about 30 ft.

I think the adit with the bad air is the Wasatch Mine about 5 miles up Mineral fork. I never went in because “Bad Air” is spray painted on the opening. And it has a lot of water flowing out of it and has been DOGM’ed, but it has been breached.

Dan
                We do it underground and under water.
                Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

• RockRacer
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Dec 2008

Oh man I am jealous of you and Kurt.

Very cool, thanks for the addition.
                  Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• $ alex $
                    Mojave Teen
                    • May 2010

hey guys. i was checking out your post (i dig that exhibit) and figured i would add some info that hopefully isnt old news.
                    kurt - the picture of the mine with the kid chilling in the gate opening is located a few hundred feet north of the road at the s-curve in big cottonwood canyon. if you head like you are going to hike the mill b north trail, but follow the river up the small draw instead, it will be on your right hand side. its very small and not very easy to enter (i'm a big dude haha). p.s. that waterfall is amazing.
                    as for roy's mine, its pretty much closed for good as far as i could see last time i was there. its collapsed about 20 or 30 feet in just past me in a recent picture. i will post that when i can (i will figure it out, i suck with computers haha). i always wanted to explore this mine considering we drove past it ALL THE TIME when i was a kid on the way to spruces campground.
                    also, kurt - where is the emma mine? is it still open?
                    oh and p.s. the mine opening at the bottom of the mineral fork trail is bricked off just past the opening. there is an opening a few feet west of it that you can go into though. as far as i know it doesnt go in very far though.
                    hope this helps y'all! happy exploring and i will try to post that picture soon!
                    Alex
                    *I always invite info on explorable mines in or around the Cottonwood Canyons area!

Comment

• $ alex $
                      Mojave Teen
                      • May 2010

k so for some reason it wont let me add an image to the post. sorry guys. take my word for it? haha
                      Alex
                      *I always invite info on explorable mines in or around the Cottonwood Canyons area!

Comment

Working...