• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Schriber
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Dec 2008

Lone Pine and Owens Valley

We had an interesting trip to the Owens Valley two weekends ago. We headed up Friday morning and for once covered the distance in a reasonable amount of time. After dropping the trailer at the Diaz Lake campground we headed over to the Reward Mine for a quick run-through. Dave and Stacy got the nickle tour of the more interesting parts of the mine. We investigated a drift we neglected last time and also mapped out a few shafts we were interested in. Our long lost 50' rope was found to much rejoicing. It was still coiled up but not in the spot where it was left. Weird. I'd remembered to bring my rock hammer this time and we spent quite a while chipping out interesting minerals and crystals on the top level. Someone has been putting in some serious effort to mine this area. We found a number of spent drill bits, a huge extension cord and a gas generator hidden in one of the side chambers. After exiting the mine we headed into town for some much deserved pizza and then back to the trailer for showers and a nice fire.

Saturday was to have been spent exploring the Santa Rosa Mine but Mother Nature had other ideas. We awoke to rain at camp and snow at the higher elevations. We were able to make it to just below the Santa Rosa but the rest of the road was too slippery to conquer. Due to the snowfall rate we became concerned that we'd be snowed in after hours in the mine so we abandoned the Santa Rosa for this trip and headed to lower elevations. We scouted out the mines and prospects closer to the highway including the Viking and White Swan mines. The Viking has an interesting vertical shaft without ladders. The White Swan wasn't very large and we explored all of it in a little less than an hour. We then ventured over to the Talc City area and found a number of promising shafts. As night fell another storm blew in and we had blizzard conditions, even at lower elevations. We headed back to camp with a good list of mines to rappel into during warmer weather.

All of the pictures are up at www.undergroundexplorers.com

Mike
    Underground Explorers
    California Abandoned Mine Exploration

• ryan162
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

your pictures came out really well. how do you guys light everything up like that for the pic?

Comment

• Mike Schriber
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Dec 2008

I'm using a Canon DSLR with it's integrated flash. It has a good amount of power (without having to mess with an off-camera flash) and cuts out 99% of the dust reflections. Some work with shadows and highlights in Photoshop can make a big difference as well.

Mike
      Underground Explorers
      California Abandoned Mine Exploration

Comment

• Joanne
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2009

Mike,

It looks like you guys had a real good time. That same storm swept through here yesterday and dumped a bunch of snow on the mountains around the city. I really enjoy looking at the photos that you have up on your site.

Joanne
        Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

Working...