X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Wyoming, who would have thought?

Every year I attend an "Outlaw Run" with a group of friends from the Western US (mostly Colorado and Utah). Basically we drive all over the SW chasing down the old haunts and trails of the Outlaws like Butch Cassity and Matt Warner. As we are all 4x4 guys our routes usually take us to some really remote places and places the average tourist never sees, which is often the home to another favorite hobby, old mines We've been in the Swell, in the Maze and in the isolated Henry's... all of which have some neat mining history as many of you have experienced.

While the last few years have focused on Southern Utah locations, this years trip had us all over Wyoming, basically from Evanston all the way to the old Hole in the Wall near Kaycee. We passed dozens of old mine sites, however there was one area in particular that really caught my attention, the South Pass City area. We were not off the pavement for 10 minutes before we had already happened across a couple of neat old mine sites. Now they 'reclaim' things in Wyoming too, but when I say reclaim they put a fence around a mine and a few signs... not once did I see a bull-dozed site capped with a sickly assortment of rebar and cement. Mines were gated but the earth around them wasn't reshaped and replanted as hide their past life.

Just down the road we happened across the mother load, a giant mine & mill in fascinatingly pristine condition... almost too good of condition? As we neared closer I could tell that much of the mine workings had actually been recently replaced, like recent as in this year even. The 150+ yard rail trestle between the mine and the mill were brand new. The obviously aged mill building had brand new windows. Amongst the mine and mill were a half dozen out buildings, what looked to be old mine offices, bunkhouses and equipment sheds. All in great shape some literally having food on the shelf. Interpretive signs marked the sites and detailed its life in the heyday of mining history

How can this be you ask? Well Wyoming has a different thought process than our close-minded approach here in Utah. They are actually restoring this mine & mill as part of a historical preservation project, with tours to boot! This whole areas is chuck full of restoration projects, all aimed at protecting their heritage and past.

The small mercantile in town has all the needed goodies, a Sarsaparilla, a miners rock hammer or assay sample bags. They even had some nice Keen sluice equipment in stock, in a town of 7 mind you Along with the operating facilities is a host of older buildings along mainstreet. They are not burned down or crumbling, rather they have fresh paint and contractors were actually there working on roofs and decks... finishing some items they didn't get done during the summer tourist season that brings sight see'ers and prospectors to the area from all over the world. Right in the middle of town is an operating stamp mill and small mine, obviously relocated and refurbished but they give tours of the operation. How cool is that?

Just up the road is another town called Atlantic City, also famous for its mining past. We ended up spending a long night at the Miners Grubstake Bar & Restaurant with the locals, turns out on of the more vocal in the group is a geologist and owns a very prominent Mary Ellen Mine. Towards the end of August each year they do a big historical society to-do and show folks around all of these sites. Steve (the vocal bar dude) knows everything about everything in that town, give him a rum & coke and he'll tell you anything you need to know (including about UFO's and anti-aircraft guns )

Enough talk... I'll have a more detailed report down the road. Here are some pics:

Interpretive sign at the Carissa Mine & Mill

Site view of the Carissa Mine & Mill

A neat old classifier just warming in the sun

Into the mine

Into the mill

The Mine & Headframe, as you can see it has been restored but all the inside is still original

There is another incline on the property, partially caved. Rather than backfill it and gate it off, they built a viewing deck so you can safely peer down

The operational Wolverine Mine & Stamp mill

The Atlantic City Merc
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com
  • Skylinerider
    Mojave Teen
    • Nov 2008

That is awesome! Too bad I had to miss going this year. It was like pulling teeth to give up my spot on the trip.
    www.drycanyonmaps.com

Comment

• Jeff
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Nov 2008

Great find Kurt! we will definitely have to go check that out.
      Jeff
      Mojave Mine Team
      Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Skylinerider
        That is awesome! Too bad I had to miss going this year. It was like pulling teeth to give up my spot on the trip.
        It would have been great to have you along, alas there is always next year!

Originally posted by Jeff
        Great find Kurt! we will definitely have to go check that out.
        For sure. I've got contact info for their Historical Society as well as the mines. For the most part it will be snowed in until next spring, most of the stores close down and the tours are all closed up. I'd be more than happy to help plan a MU trip out there next summer. Its only ~5 hours away, so we could even have a short weekend trip out there.
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• UnderUtah
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jun 2008

Petty amazing! Who would have thought that Wyoming had any mining history? Just goes to show yet again what a "closed-mine"-ded take Utah has on mining history. (see Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, and now Wyoming for their take on perservation) Can you imagine how cool it would be if there were such a place in Utah? I would love to see something - anything - state or BLM sponsored that PROMOTED Utah's mining history intstead of making these sites illegal or imposible to visit. If you don't build / perserve / promote it they won't come. I guess that works for the beehive state...
          Miah
          Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Stuart
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

A high five to Kurt for a great trip report and a high five to Wyoming for being proactive about promoting and preserving their mining history! That mill and tussle is absolutely incredible! This is one of the largest scale mine preservation projects I have ever seen! We will definitely need to take a trip out there this summer.
            -Stuart Burgess
            Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
            Burgess Exploration LLC
            http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
            Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mike
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

Amazing find Kurt. Really neat to see. I think it might be a fun idea to have Mojave Underground and it's members head out to see this next year.

Anybody send this off to the ol' DOGM and BLM yet?
              -Fish
              Mojave Mine Team
              MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mark1955
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Dec 2008

Been there many times and highly reccomended! I'll be going there week after next and I normally go past the turn offs to there about four times a year. There is an excellent camp ground just north of Atlantic City so it would make an excellent Mojave trip!! There is also Kerwin mine site south west of Meetetsee that I've also visited but it's 9000' up in the mountains and accessability is iffy even during the good tims of the year. Some of the road going up is actually a creek bed that you're driving on. Lots of neat stuff all over Wyoming and southern Montana!

Meeteetse, WY

Mark

Comment

Working...