• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Tonopah Nevada

Hi all,

What a week! I had the opportunity to explore a couple of the historic mining areas in central Nevada as I headed for a teardrop trailer gathering about 25 miles east of Austin, Nevada. Before leaving I fired up Google Earth with the claims database so I could get a feel where I should start looking. The database is a great resource for anyone interested in mine exploration. I just wish that Google Earth could be used without a connection to the internet. It would have been great to have it available as I wandered around the old mining roads in the area.

I took a lot of photographs in each of these towns. I’ll post a few of them in this thread and make the rest available in my Picasa album. Anyone who is interested in mine exploration should consider checking out this area of Nevada. The density of mines and mining towns makes this area a worthwhile destination.

Tonopah
    This is a neat little town with a lot of old buildings and neat architecture. Although it has declined in size in recent years, it is still the county seat of Nye County and the major refueling point for people traveling between Las Vegas and Reno. There are also quite a few residents who work down at the Nellis Gunnery Range.

Probably the neatest thing to see in there is the Tonopah Historic Mining Park. The park is absolutely amazing. It sits on 100 acres of historic mining grounds and contains the North Star Mine, Desert Queen Mine, Montana Tonopah Mine, the Mitzpah Mine, and the Silver Top Mine. Along with the mines they have a collection of old books and records, and a large mineral exhibit. The entrance fee is $5.00 and you can wander around all day. Definitely worth seeing!

In speaking with one of the park workers, she informed me that most of the Tonopah mines were in the 1,500 to 2,000 foot range. She also said that the mines further south in Goldfield were quite a bit shallower. Outside of town the area is dotted with tailing piles. While most of the mines are shafts, I was able to spot a few horizontal adits that may be worth checking out.

If you plan on traveling to the area, Tonopah would make a good "hub" for your exploration. You can explore a lot of interesting areas and still get back to town before dark.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • Crystal

That is an awesome find Joanne! I wish Utah would do something like that with their mining heritage, instead of 'preserving' it under piles of rock.

Comment

• Derek
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2008

Thanks for sharing Joanne.
      -Derek
      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

Working...