• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Beck #2

With all the recent trip reports and exploration going on I was starting to feel left out. So Crystal and I packed up our gear and drove up to our old favorite exploration grounds, Eureka. Instead of heading up to our usual mines we took a left just inside town and drove up Knightsville road to the Burristan Pass Rd. We found it entertaining that although Burristan Pass road is in excellent condition, there is a sign at the fork saying that the road is "Closed due to dangerous conditions" Not far up the road we came upon a spectacular headframe above deep shaft. After looking at the headframe for a while I did the sensible thing and started looking around for an accessible adit. I didn't spot one right off, but I did find it peculiar that although the wind was not blowing I could see a branch dancing wildly on its own. Upon closer inspection I found the source of the wind to be a 1.5' hole blasting that wonderful smelling mine air with enough force that it was hard to hear anything else when standing nearby.

We promptly suited up in our coveralls and gear worming our way down into the mine, this was difficult due to all the debris being blown in our faces from the hole. Once inside things calmed down and we were able to get a feel for the mine. Many of the haulage tunnels are pristine with little breakdown and fully intact rail, but you must beware of false floors. We found many massive stopes inside interconnecting multiple levels and a network of pipe. There are also quite a few ore carts inside the mine with some missing wheels. We spent a few hours inside the mine trying to find the source of all the air. Using our spiderman skills we climbed the stopes working our way up into the mine finding that the air it is coming from the upper entrances of the mine. Hopefully when I get back in there I will be able to make a through trip out the top. After exiting the mine we drove the rest of the way down the pass road and into silver city. It was cool to look down over the pass into the active Dragon Mine, which is huge!

Beck Mine #2 adit:
    39.943359 N 112.097404 W
    Altitude: 6,971ft

ALL IMAGES OF THIS TRIP: http://mojaveunderground.com/gallery...h/Eureka/beck/
    -Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer
  • John
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Oct 2008

That's the headframe in my profile pic!

Man I wish I could get down there with you.

Comment

• Kiel
      Mojave Miner
      • Feb 2009

Very cool
      Underground Baby!

Comment

• Skylinerider
        Mojave Teen
        • Nov 2008

Nice! Kurt and I were out there last year, we also found the hole blowing the air, but we didn't have the equipment or time to head in and explore.
        Here are a few of our photos:
        www.drycanyonmaps.com

Comment

• lobster68w
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Dec 2008

Cool!!

I've driven by there a few times, but I've never been able to find any decent entrances to the mines around Eureka. I'm probably going to be in the area Sunday, will have to dig a little deeper!

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• ExpUt
            True Mojave
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Skylinerider
            Nice! Kurt and I were out there last year, we also found the hole blowing the air, but we didn't have the equipment or time to head in and explore.
            Here are a few of our photos:
            http://www.expeditionutah.com/forum/...tsville&page=3
            10-4, I remember it was like AC on a warm afternoon.

Stu and Crystal. Stoked you guys were able to get inside there. We were out there to visit the museum and didn't load any gear with us... I've been thinking about that hole ever since... along with a million other holes I want to explore lol. Keep us posted on a return trip, I would love to join you!
            Kurt Williams
            CruiserOutfitters.com
            ExpeditionUtah.com
            MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• lobster68w
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Dec 2008

From today, view from above.

I found the hole you guys went in. Talk about a rush of air!! Reminded me of the Scranton Mine. Hopefully going to go in next weekend, along with a few others.

On a side note, I think I found the lower entrance to this mine (39.936479, -112.094553) down the road from the Beck. It's here- 39.937788, -112.093276

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Mark1955
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Dec 2008

I don't think so. According to the Mojave Underground - Google Earth overlay the Beck is too far from your site. I plugged in the numbers and they took me to the Minnie Moore Mine at 39.937788, -112.093276 and 39.936479, -112.094553. As you can see in the picture the Beck is quite a ways away.Minnie Moore

Mark

Comment

• Derek
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by lobster68w
                  From today, view from above.

I found the hole you guys went in. Talk about a rush of air!! Reminded me of the Scranton Mine. Hopefully going to go in next weekend, along with a few others.

On a side note, I think I found the lower entrance to this mine (39.936479, -112.094553) down the road from the Beck. It's here- 39.937788, -112.093276
                  According to one of the Eureka natives that I work with, this picture is of one of the Colorado mines.
                  -Derek
                  Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• John
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Mark1955
                    I don't think so. According to the Mojave Underground - Google Earth overlay the Beck is too far from your site. I plugged in the numbers and they took me to the Minnie Moore Mine at 39.937788, -112.093276 and 39.936479, -112.094553. As you can see in the picture the Beck is quite a ways away.Minnie Moore

Mark
                    True, the "Beck mine" is at the south end of Eureka. This mine is the "Beck #2 shaft", or at least that's what it's named on all the topo maps I've got.
                    Two separate mines, same owner.

Comment

• Derek
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Outlaw
                      • Jul 2008

Hmmm...sounds like I need to take a trip there with my gps.
                      -Derek
                      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Skylinerider
                        Mojave Teen
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by John
                        True, the "Beck mine" is at the south end of Eureka. This mine is the "Beck #2 shaft", or at least that's what it's named on all the topo maps I've got.
                        Two separate mines, same owner.
                        Mine say the same as well, so does the GPS. That's even what old photos of it are called at the Historical society.
                        www.drycanyonmaps.com

Comment

• Stuart
                          Administrator
                          True Mojave
                          • Sep 2007

Yeah.. Its the Beck #2. The Bullion Beck is on the other side of Eureka, as John said "Two separate mines, same owner."

Good work Lobster68w on finding the lower entrance to the Minnie Moore, I will have to check that out. Have you by any chance found the upper entrance to the Beck? I need to find out where all the air is coming from, I followed it inside the mine and was stopped by a near vertical 300' incline shaft going straight up. According to Harley there is also an "Old Beck Tunnel" somewhere below the entrance that we have been going in. I'm not sure if it is the one that I got to from the inside on Saturday or not... I think the old beck is lower, near Burriston Canyon road.
                          -Stuart Burgess
                          Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                          Burgess Exploration LLC
                          http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                          Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Derek
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Outlaw
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by cheever
                            According to one of the Eureka natives that I work with, this picture is of one of the Colorado mines.
                            He was mistaken, the Colorado mines are further south down the old railroad grade.
                            -Derek
                            Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• lobster68w
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Miner
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Stuart
                              Yeah.. Its the Beck #2. The Bullion Beck is on the other side of Eureka, as John said "Two separate mines, same owner."

Good work Lobster68w on finding the lower entrance to the Minnie Moore, I will have to check that out. Have you by any chance found the upper entrance to the Beck? I need to find out where all the air is coming from, I followed it inside the mine and was stopped by a near vertical 300' incline shaft going straight up. According to Harley there is also an "Old Beck Tunnel" somewhere below the entrance that we have been going in. I'm not sure if it is the one that I got to from the inside on Saturday or not... I think the old beck is lower, near Burriston Canyon road.
                              There are two mines up on the mountain just to the NW of the headframe. The first one has a large vertical shaft and the second looks like there was an adit there, but has since caved in. Were heading back this weekend to check some things out. I found 6 openings around Eureka that look like they might be worthwhile before the closures start.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

Working...