• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Hidden Treasure Rock Hounding / Buckhorn Trip

Mojave Underground just went on another great adventure. I led a group up to the upper oxidized zone to extract more malachite, smithsonite, azurite, and other minerals that are up there. Crystal, Miah, and Derek went in through the Hidden Treasure to drop into the Buckhorn. Their story will be told when one of them decides to write it

We began our trip by heading to a section of rich galena ore and hounding it with chisels and mini sledges. The weight of the ore was incredible, 5-6x heavier than the standard limestone host rock in which it resides. We then climbed up to the next level where we extracted selenite satin spars. After being satisfied there, we dropped over to the muddy incline which we rigged with rope on a previous trip and began climbing the 350' to the upper level. Our first stop was the Upper HT Cave, a unique, dome shaped cave full of greenish flowstone. Written in carbide on a small section of the cave was 2 miners signatures from 1946. When finished enjoying the cave, we moved to the oxidized level and immediately found great specimens to extract. With the constant hammering and chiseling, the mine was once again active with sounds it hasn't heard in many decades. Each of us had the opportunity to extract a full backpack of minerals before heading back down. I had to bring the rope down with me to use on a later adventure, but the incline is too steep and muddy to traverse without a handline. Two pull through systems were able to get us just down to the bottom.

Overall, the trip was a lot of fun! Thanks everybody who showed up and we look forward to seeing you next time.

Some of my photos can be found in our gallery, here:
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • CaverStretch
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Oct 2008

Awesome! Looks like a great trip. I'm getting exctied to see these mines finally.
    Robert Cranney
    Mojave Mine Team
    The "Dude with the Trailer"

"It's time to put on your big girl panties and climb that ladder."

Comment

• Jeff
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Nov 2008

I had a great time and the huge lights did a great job however they felt like 200 lbs a piece at the end of the trip so my search for lights continues. A big thanks goes out to Mike and the MMT for being outstanding hosts as usual.
      Jeff
      Mojave Mine Team
      Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

Great pics! I really want to get up in the HT, looks amazing. Whats the story on Jeff's lights? The zip ties?

Lets see that Buckhorn report
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Jeff
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Nov 2008

I for some really dumb reason didn't think they would be as big heavy and bulky as they were but I tried them anyway the zip ties were a last minute Harmons buy thus the incredibly bright colors....Ok it was all to draw attention and it worked LOL just kidding.
          Jeff
          Mojave Mine Team
          Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
            True Mojave
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Jeff
            I for some really dumb reason didn't think they would be as big heavy and bulky as they were but I tried them anyway the zip ties were a last minute Harmons buy thus the incredibly bright colors....Ok it was all to draw attention and it worked LOL just kidding.
            LOL, I didn't even catch the size of the lights the first time I looked at the pic, but the zip ties sure stood out
            Kurt Williams
            CruiserOutfitters.com
            ExpeditionUtah.com
            MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• btay801
              Mojave Teen
              • Jul 2009

Get Some ropes to the lower oxidized "extreme" section 1200 " below. What a butt kicker!!! Of course it was nothing for Stuart he is some sort of SUPERMAN. Don't trust him... he's not human. He also hauled a 10 plus pound rock, back pack and a " man purse" of rocks up the incline and was up there in 20 something minutes versus our 40 something minutes. Why does he have to be a nice guy and a freak of nature?

Comment

• Mark1955
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Dec 2008

NICE specimans!!!

Comment

• Mikezauner
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Cowboy
                  • Jun 2008

Shame I missed that trip. Looked like fun. And yes, I agree, Stu's found the answer to limitless energy. Hook him up to the power grid and we solve our energy problem.
                  Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard

Comment

• Mark1955
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Outlaw
                    • Dec 2008

Of course it was nothing for Stuart he is some sort of SUPERMAN.
                    HA! Wait till he turns 52!

Comment

• Crystal

Thanks for posting your trip report Mike, sounds like you guys had a good time. Now I shall tell my story:

The vertical group was just Derek, Miah and myself but I am glad it was small. We descended down the 90' vertical shaft and entered the Buckhorn Mine. Derek had the idea that we should exit the middle Buckhorn entrance and walk/hike back to the Hidden Treasure on the other side of the hill; and that was what we proceeded to do. Getting to the other entrance was fairly easy, going past the breakdown sections was a little sketchy but nothing the three of us couldn't handle. While we were walking in about the middle of the two entrances (HT and the Buckhorns) Derek noticed a little white spider climbing the wall!!??? As we continued on our way we finally made it to the entrance and were able to easily exit under the gate. Once outside we started to climb the mountain up to the other side. We found a cable from part of the tram, felt it was secure and used it as a hand line. Following the cable we found an unique truss fallen against the rock, as we kept going upward we found an even better surprise. An 1874 wooden winch sat at the end of the cable line in superb condition. We were very amazed to find this, it really made the trip. Around the area we also found what we believe was a fallen assayer's shop. And we continued up. Along the way to the top of the mountain we found several mine entrances all gated of course and several other back filled. We didn't even realized there were more openings up here, how they managed to gate them it a mystery to us incredibly hard to get up there, let alone with equipment.
                      And we still continued up. We finally found the road we were looking for and it lead us past an old car that had fallen off the road and was lucky enough to get stuck in some trees right off the road. Maybe someone who is proficient in their knowledge of cars could tell us what it is. When we FINALLY made it to the top of the mountain we descended down the road to the HT. We made a stop along the way to show Derek the Chicago Mine entrance and proceed the rest of our journey down. We arrived back at the HT a half hour from our scheduled time with the other team so we had lunch. This certainly was one of the more fun trips I've had, just seeing the old remains of mine buildings and machinery made it a fantastic trip.

THIS GALLERY CAN BE VIEWED HERE

Comment

• tunnel rat
                        Mojave Teen
                        • Sep 2008

I have been up to where the old winch is on my wheeler, that is up pretty high. It must have been a good hike. The old car that is just off the trail I think might have been part of an home made winch. I have pictures of the winch if you like.
                        To take no chances in life, is to have no chance at life.
                        Shawn
                        Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Derek
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Outlaw
                          • Jul 2008

Thanks for the writeup Crystal. It was amazing how many holes are up there above the Buckhorn.
                          -Derek
                          Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Stuart
                            Administrator
                            True Mojave
                            • Sep 2007

Looks like a fun trip for both groups! Its too bad I missed out on this one. I have uploaded the rest of the pictures from this trip.

-Stuart Burgess
                            Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                            Burgess Exploration LLC
                            http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                            Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

Working...